One

There are days when you wake up knowing that day will be an absolutely beautiful one.

Today's like that; I can feel it from my spirit.

In fact, for the past one year, everyday has felt like this. I wake up with the most amazing feeling of exhilaration and anticipation. And it's never in vain, not at all. The love of my life always makes sure he surprises me one way or the other.

The widest smile takes over my face at the thought of him. The only human that blows my mind so incredibly.

"Father God, thank you so much for the gift of such an amazing man," I whisper as I sit up in bed. My phone has been blaring my 6am alarm for a minute now, so I swipe it off. It's a Saturday. No work. My eyes catch the notification of a new message. With the way I'm smiling now, the vein in my forehead must be pronounced.

Morning, my very own special sunshine. Welcome to your best day yet. I love you.

PS: Can today be our yes day?

I quickly thumb a reply.

I'll say yes to you anytime, my love.

With two pillows propped against my headboard behind me, I put down my phone, rest my back and begin to speak with God.

"...and please, Lord, I've been believing you for this. It's five years since I lost my virginity. And I'm still so sorry that I gave in so easily...so foolishly. I know You've forgiven me and accepted me. But Lord, for Zaiah, please renew my virginity. A new hymen, Lord. You can do it. You're the only miracle worker. I trust you. Thank You, Lord, for You have done it. In Jesus' name, Amen."

I take my Study Bible after and read ten Psalm chapters, before I finally get up and freshen up. By freshen up, I mean brushing my teeth and washing my face. I'm in the middle of cleaning my small self-con apartment and singing along to worship music when there's urgent knocking on my door. A quick glance at my wall clock tells me it's 7:51am.

A shudder courses through me.

God, let it not be the landlady...

With careful steps, I reach the door and heave a breath. I'm about to pull the door open when I realize I'm still in my nightie.

"Jeez, how..."

"Anjy! Open this door, honey! This harmattan hurricane is not friendly at all," comes the whiny voice on the other side of the door.

My eyes fly wide and I turn the doorknob. "Stella! Of course, you're the biggest exaggerator on the planet," I say with a shake of my head.

My best friend since our days at the University of Ibadan, she's beautiful with silky skin like dark chocolate. She has naturally long hair that she flaunts, rather than using extensions and wigs like I usually do. Stella is a high paid model that works with skincare and haircare brands in Nigeria.

She saunters in with several shopping bags hanging on each of her slender arms. "Girl, what took you so long?"

"Calm down, will you? I wasn't taking that long. Thought you were Mama Lydia, so I wanted to change my clothes. Why are you here so early?" I watch her walk to my bedroom and I follow. "Careful. I just cleaned that place."

"Yeah, yeah," she mumbles as she goes.

She dumps all the bags on my bed before flopping down beside them.

"Ọmọ!" Stella exclaims, eyeing the ceiling. Then she sits up so abruptly, I'm wondering what's on her mind. "Today's gonna be huge."

I raise a brow as I stare at her. Stella looks exhausted--which is strange, especially since it's morning--but she's got this giddy energy about her that has me feeling jumpy.