fall festival

2022, senior year

      Tate never came back to school. Not to visit, not to come to your graduation, nothing. It's like he didn't exist after that day you told him you couldn't have lunch together. He'd never been one for social media, so you couldn't look for him there, and when you called his number, a voice said the line had been disconnected. He had thoroughly ghosted you, and if that was what he wanted, then so be it. He clearly didn't want to be contacted, so you wouldn't continue trying.

      The summer after you graduated, Remi grew slightly apart from you and Delaney, but you two remained best friends. You got your first job at a nearby fast food joint. It was full time, and you had a pretty set schedule: 8am to 4pm every day. It was like you'd never left school; but at least this way you were getting paid. One particular night after you left work, Aunt Thea had had a bad day at her own job, which was always taken out on you.

   "Up to your room again?" she commented. Though she seemed to hate everything you did and being around you in general, you were still reprimanded and guilted for never leaving your room.

   "Yeah," you began as politely as possible. "The rushes were brutal today."

   "Right," she didn't even look up from her phone. "Cause flipping burgers is such demanding labor."

   Considering you worked at a vegetarian place, there were no burgers to be flipped. You rolled your eyes without another word and began up the steps before Aunt Thea could insult you further.

OCTOBER 2023

      You'd taken off work for Halloween night weeks in advance in hopes that Delaney might have plans for you two, but those hopes were thrown out the window when Aunt Thea informed you her secretary job was having a 'Fall Festival' that you didn't have a choice in attending or not.

   "It's on actual Halloween?" you questioned. Seemed a little odd for a bunch of middle aged men and women to gather for an adult Halloween party.

   "Yeah, but there's a lot of religious people at the firm so it's called a fall festival, not anything to do with Halloween," she corrected.

   You dramatically mouthed 'oookay', and then said, "So why do I have to go?"

   "Because, there might be people there that interest you. Get you out of my house."

   You brushed off the insulting part of that, and asked, "Like who?"

   "Well I know you've heard me mention my friend Connie," Aunt Thea began, seemingly exasperated that she had to waste her breath on you. "She has a son that she's always going on and on about how smart and handsome he is, and how well he did in school. And he's exactly your age."

   "So... you want me to go so you can play match maker?" your brow wrinkled. "That... seems really awkward."

   "You're 18 and never had a serious boyfriend," she snapped. "I don't know if you realize but I'm not your real mother, I decided to not have kids for a reason. It's your fucking parents' fault I got stuck with you. I want you to find a husband, or a baby daddy, I don't really give a shit, so you can move out of my house and in with him. So you're coming with me to meet Connie's son, or I'm taking your door off its' hinges again and you can start paying rent. Capiche?"

   Your eyes stung with the threat of tears, and you nodded in silence.

*****

      A few days later, you and Aunt Thea were arriving to her office's party. Since the word "Halloween" was practically banned, no costumes were allowed. Just a bunch of casually dressed middle aged men and women, exactly as you expected. You had to walk through the building to the gated-in back area, where bundles of dead corn stalks sat scattered as décor. There were also some black and orange balloons placed here and there, a long container meant to bob for apples in, and large thermoses labeled 'hot cider', 'hot chocolate', and 'coffee'. You looked around at the people and felt like you were in an episode of The Office, if there were no comedy aspect to it. Aunt Thea, acting like a complete stranger, politely shook hands with a few people and reluctantly introduced you. She made sure to put emphasis on the fact that you were only her niece, not her daughter.

   As the two of you made your way down the buffet table with your paper plates, your aunt spotted her friend, "Connie, hey!"

   A woman with brunette-rooted blonde hair in a meticulous updo turned her head towards you guys, and offered a closed-lip smile as she made her way over. She wore a loose fitting blouse with sheer, flowing sleeves, and a knee length navy blue skirt; she walked with confidence.

   "Thea," the woman spoke with a slight Southern drawl, giving your aunt a one armed hug. "Good to see you." She turned toward you then, and said, "And you must be her darling niece."

   "Yes, this is the one," Aunt Thea put a gentle arm around you as if you were best buddies.

   "Precious," she complimented, but for whatever reason it didn't seem genuine.

   "What about you, did you bring your infamous son I hear so much about?" My aunt inquired.

   "That I did," Connie simpered. "He's gone to fetch us some coffee, I'm sure he'll be over in a minute or so."

   The two of them got to small talking about this and that, drama in the office and so on, when you noticed a blond boy in a beige cardigan approaching Connie from behind, two disposable cups in hand. When he reached the three of you he finally looked up, and everything came to a halt.

A second before his eyes landed on you, you managed to croak, "Tate?"