Chapter 10: Black Cobras

"You're going to tell us the truth," Aiden growled as he hit Dwayne again.

Dwayne groaned and spat a mouthful of blood onto the ground. "What truth?" he choked out. "I don't know anything about your brother's death."

Malachi and Finn, the two thugs holding Dwayne's arms, looked to Aiden with a mixture of surprise and admiration. Aiden punched Dwayne again and he cried out in pain.

"I don't believe you," Aiden said. "Someone had to have seen something."

Dwayne shook his head and the tears started streaming down his face. "No one saw anything," he whispered. "I swear. I don't know who did it."

Aiden stepped back, his fists clenched and his body shaking. "Then why did they take him?" he asked.

Dwayne just shook his head and said nothing. Aiden growled and walked around the room. He ran his hands through his hair and took a few deep breaths.

"You're going to tell me who did this," he said. "Or else."

"I can't," Dwayne said, his voice barely a whisper. "I don't know. I swear. Please believe me."

Aiden stared at him for a long moment, then sighed and turned away. He walked over to the window and looked out into the night. He could see the lights of the Mystic Strip Club, the club that Don Nikito now owned. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He would find the truth. He had to. He turned back to Dwayne and his men.

"Alright," he said. "Boys let him go."

The two thugs let go of Dwayne and he scrambled to his feet. He looked around the room, and then back to Aiden.

"What about the money?" he asked.

Aiden shook his head. "You're not getting any money," he said.

Aiden's jaw clenched and his nostrils flared as he barked orders to his two men. The trio stormed out of the club and Dwayne struggled to keep up behind them. He waited, breathing heavily until he had enough courage to dial Don Nikito's Underboss Dmitri.

"Goddamn its Dwayne, this better be good, or I swear on all that is holy," Underboss Dmitri growled.

Aiden Berkshire, the new leader for the Black Cobras, he was the one asking questions about his brother's death.

Silence filled the line before Dmitri finally spoke again. "Goddammit. You mean Jesse, he fumed."

Yes Boss, Raven's ex-boyfriend, Dwayne stuttered. He's got some kind of vendetta against whoever killed his father and now look what happened to Jesse.

Dmitri cursed under his breath then yelled, "Alright Dwayne, get some of your boys on the streets and report back to me. And Dwayne," he shouted, "you better not fuck this up or else you're dead."

Dwayne could barely mutter a response before Dmitri hung up. His heartbeat faster than ever as he realized the gravity of his situation.

****

A seething rage boiled beneath Dmitri's skin, radiating from his core like an inferno. He had to let Don Nikito know immediately of what had occurred at Mystic Strip Club tonight. Aiden had dared to cross the mob, and crossed a line that he would never be able to come back from. His rash decision spelled death, swift and sure. A mob-enforced justice no one could escape. No one could disrespect the syndicate and its rules and regulations, and expect to remain unscathed.

In a show of power, Underboss Dmitri stormed in with Underboss Boris in tow, accompanied by Silas, Parker and Winston ready to do their duty. As they entered the club, they brought with them the dark promise of retribution. Dwayne's heart nearly jumped out of his chest when he saw the formidable figures that had suddenly filled the small office. He leapt up from his chair and stumbled backward, his gaze fixed on the two ominous Underbosses. Weston, Silas, and Parker had entered before them, each of them looking like a movie star in their tailored suits. Dwayne's world was spinning with fear as he staggered around the desk, trying to remain composed in front of these powerful figures.