Chapter 3 - A New Friend

Today is Wednesday, the day that I go over to Bachira's house to work on the history project. This will also be the first time that I'll be over at a boy's house, which only fueled my anxiety.

I woke up, did my morning routine, and when I was downstairs eating breakfast my dad kept talking about the Blue lock project. Apparently, it was going to launch soon, but I didn't remember exactly when. I was dropped off at school and surprisingly, Nanako wasn't there to walk with me to our homeroom. I was a bit sad because of that, but luckily it was pretty cloudy this morning so I didn't need my umbrella to protect me from the sun. Dribbling the ball in the front yard of the school, I could see a familiar black and yellow-haired boy. Suddenly, I wasn't so sad. Despite Bachira being labeled the "weird kid" I thought that he wasn't that weird. At least compared to my siblings.

I walked up to Bachira, getting a clearer view of his football skills. The way he playfully manipulated the ball to whatever direction he desired was impressive.

"That's pretty cool," I pointed out.

"Haha, getting a compliment from the Ice Queen, must be my lucky day~" Bachira playfully said.

I blushed when he said "Ice Queen."

God, that nickname is so embarrassing, I thought.

"Anyways," Bachira said as he kicked the ball high up so he could catch it, "let's head to homeroom!" He said with a wink.

I smiled a little as we talked while walking to the second floor.

"What room are you in?" Bachira asked me.

"Room 21," I said.

"That's cool! I'm in room 28, I'll just drop you off here!" Bachira said as he waved goodbye.

I waved back slowly, staying in place.

Wow, time really flew by, I thought.

I didn't know how long I was standing there but Nanako suddenly tapped my shoulder.

"Hey Tsubaki, sorry I was late my brother slept in." She said.

I noticed that she was out of breath, I checked my watch and we still had a few more minutes until our first class. I have art two times a week on Mondays and on Wednesdays. Today, I happened to have it for my first class of the day.

"You're not that late," I said.

"Hah, really, that's good. Also, why were you standing there?" Nanako asked.

My cheeks felt warm, and to avoid Nanako teasing me relentlessly I just said, "Oh, no reason."

Nanako didn't seem to believe me, but she surprisingly didn't ask any more questions.

I headed to my first class, art which was on the third floor. When I walked into the classroom I saw stools in a circle with a bowl of fruits in the middle.

It looks like we are going to be painting the fruits, I thought.

I grabbed a canvas and some paints, as my teacher instructed me, and sat down at my seat where the light from the windows wouldn't reach.

Ugh, I wish I could have taken art last semester with Nanako, but now I have no friends in this class, I thought.

I noticed that I forgot to take some paintbrushes. I was annoyed, but someone handed me a few brushes before I could stand up from my seat. I looked up to see Bachira with his signature warm smile.