Chapter One - Home

It was another day for Lillian. She woke up at 6AM by her alarm clock.

"Hm, that's strange. Why is there an alarm clock in my bedroom?" She pondered in her mind.

"I guess mother wanted me up."

She hopped out of her bed, forgetting about the cut that went across her leg.

She screamed.

The pain was unbearable. Her mother slowly walked to Lillian's bedroom. Lillian could just tell she was going to be beaten, once again.

"Mother! Please, I'm sorry for waking you up!" She wimpered.

Her mother loved the sound of her apologetic voice. However, she decided she needed to stop the abuse.

"Darling! Do not fright, I shall not hurt you, but if you woke up your father, - she whispers - he'll beat you, even worse than me!"

The word 'beat' or 'hurt' terrified her. The only reason she knows any English or can read is because of her mother. She used to be so kind, helping her learn, but now, all she does is beat her for no reason.

"Anyway, dear, I will pack your things, as you and I need to be evacuated."

"Why is that, mother?" Lillian asked.

"Because there is a second world war. Remember when I taught you about the great war?"

"Yes, I will never forget that lesson, mother."

"This will be just like it. Unsafe for me and you. Go get something to eat."

Lillian limped past her mother to the kitchen. Her mother strolled behind her, making sure she doesn't fall.

Lillian shook while taking a bourbon out of the cuboard. What if her father caught her?

This was her first bit of food for not eating for two days, finally, a bit of food!

A few minutes later, her mother called her.

Lillian rushes to her mother.

"Yes, mother?"

"Is this what you need"

"Yes, it is."

Her mother states, "Stay here while I pack my things."

Around half an hour later, her mother returns.

"Come on, let's say bye to father."

"Ok.."

They go downstairs to father's bedroom.

Helen (Lillian's mother) knocks at Charles(Lillian's father) bedroom door.

"Darling, are you awake?" She whispers.

"Of course I am, with all your stamping!" Charles grunts.

"Sorry, darling, we are just about to leave for the trains."

There is a brief moment of silence, and then they hear the jangling of clothing and then.. The door opens.

Helen, trying to brighten the mood the says, "Well, don't you look handsome?"

"Of course I do! I'm Charles Hockley!"

They then close all the doors, turn off all the lights, and lock the front door.

Lillian stutters, "Bye house.."