Watch the Tears Flow

Emma

I gave Madison a hug. The tears had never dried from a few hours ago when Ryan left.

"Don't do this." Madison's voice wavered as she pulled back to look at me. "Ryan will protect you. I don't know Mark, but I can't imagine he's bigger and tougher than Ryan. I saw how he looked at you. That boy would do anything for you. Damn, I wish I had a guy who looked at me how Ryan looks at you."

Madison showed up after her class looking for her wallet. That was when I told her I was leaving for good.

"Stop making this worse than it actually is." I reached down and threw my backpack over my shoulder, then grabbed the handle of the suitcase, ready to roll it along with me.

She sighed. "You're the best friend I have ever had. It's only been a month, but to paraphrase an ex-friend of mine, I am an acquired taste. You put up with my weirdness."

"What does that even mean?" I frowned. "Acquired taste? Who says that?"

"Bitches, that's who. You are sweet and don't question my coffee addiction. You let me decorate the dorm room with my posters. Emma, you're too good to have this happen to you." Another tear fell onto her cheek.

"Maybe that was my problem all along. I was too good, too sweet. An evil asshole knew I was easy prey, and now, I either run or be killed."

"Fuck." She swallowed. "That's so messed up."

"I left a note in your wallet because you left it behind again. I gave you my dad's number. Let him know I moved on. If you want to pass a message on to me, give it to him. He'll let me know."

"I feel like we're in some spy movie, but this isn't cool at all. This is awful."

I pulled her into a tight hug, willing myself to let go. I had to just rip off the bandage and move on, no matter how much my heart was battered.

The look in Ryan's eyes earlier when I told him I couldn't see him again just about broke me. I wanted to scream, but I held it together. Once he left, I melted onto the floor and sobbed for at least twenty minutes before I could focus on packing.

I never realized I would care about someone so quickly the way I did Ryan. If he was here, I'd admit I lost my heart to him. I loved Ryan and didn't think I could ever love anyone else again.

There was a loud knock on the door. My eyes widened as I pulled out of Madison's arms.

"Oh, god... he found me," I whispered as my voice cracked.

"Hide. In there." She pointed to her closet.

I ran inside, throwing my bag at my feet, and Madison shut the door. My heart pounded as I pressed my body against the wall. My heartbeat was so loud, I feared Mark would hear it. There was no way he was leaving this dorm without ripping it apart.

I had trouble hearing what was being said, but I caught Madison saying, "fuck no" and "too late." It sounded like something had gotten knocked down. I winced and tried not to make a sound.

When the door to the closet opened, I covered my eyes, trying to press back into her clothing. Maybe he couldn't see me. I glimpsed a dark figure before I covered my eyes, then I felt his hand on my arm, pulling me out.

"No," I screamed, trying to yank my arm away.

"Emma. Emma." The voice was deep and not like Mark's at all.

Maybe I had forgotten what Mark sounded like? I kept fighting.

"Sweet girl, it's me. It's Ryan."

My body instantly relaxed as I gazed up into his sparkling gray eyes. "What are you doing here? I told you..." I looked around and noticed Madison was gone. "Wait. Where's Madison?"

He smirked. "She wanted to give us some alone time. She's heading to the café."

She was a good friend for giving us privacy to let us say our last goodbye.

"Oh." I swallowed, not wanting him to go—not wanting me to go.

"I know you told me not to help, but I couldn't let Mark get away with this."

Fear crept up my spine, and I took a step back. "What did you do?" Not only was I in danger, but now Ryan could be too.

"My dad is a cop."

I rubbed my forehead. "I told you cops do nothing. His father is a senator."

"Was. His father was a senator. The idiot tried to run for governor and didn't even make it to the primaries—got the least amount of votes. And now he can't even be a senator because someone else took his seat. Mark's father has no power over the police. And even if he did, he has no say here in Virgina where my dad is a cop."

That was good news, but it didn't stop Mark from coming after me.

"I called my dad and told him everything, which wasn't easy since we don't exactly get along."

I reached for Ryan's hand and intertwined our fingers. "I'm sorry, Ryan. But you didn't need to do that. These are my problems, and I never wanted to involve you in them."

"Don't you understand?" He lifted our hands to his chest. "If you're hurt, I'll take care of you. If you need help, I'll be the one to help, without question. And if you're sad, I'll be there to wipe away your tears. There's not just you or me anymore, Emma. It's us from here on out. I love you."

I let out a whimper. "I love you too. You make me feel beautiful and seen. And as much as I tried to hide, I think I needed someone to notice me. You're everything I never thought I could get in a guy. You're handsome and so freaking talented. It... it's ripping me apart to leave you."

"But you don't have to leave. My dad said there's a warrant out for Mark's arrest in Ohio, where you're from. You're not the only one he assaulted."

I gasped. That monster.

"And I went down to the station with my dad to talk to his cop buddies. That's where I was. I was going to stay by your door in case Mark showed up, but when you gave me your phone, I asked my dad to look up the number who texted you. That's how we found out about his warrant."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It had been so long since I had people on my side helping me. Mark had been untouchable for so long, and I wondered if it might not be real.

"My dad and some cops are on campus. If Mark comes near you, they'll grab him and take him for a ride. They'll drop him off at the nearest police station across the Ohio border."

I melted to the floor. Ryan sat next to me, cradling me in his arms. It had been so long since I felt safe that my body didn't know what to do.

"Thank you," I croaked out between my sobs.

"You don't need to thank me. I told you I would never let that guy hurt you. I won't let anyone hurt you."

He held me for so long, just letting me cry, that I lost track of time. My body heaved and shook until there was nothing left.

I felt so exhausted that I must have dozed off with my head leaning against his shoulder. When I woke, Ryan was tucking me into bed.

He turned to go, but I reached out. "Don't leave me..." I mumbled around a yawn.

"Never." He smiled as he crawled in next to me, throwing his arm over my stomach, holding me tight.

Ryan tried nothing, just held me. He was warm and comforting, and I had never felt so safe. I drifted off again, knowing our love had been tested and held strong.

There was nothing I wouldn't do for this man. He saved me, and now it was my turn to show him how grateful I was by being at his side through the good and the bad.

He deserved nothing less. He called me sweet, but he was the sweetest, most loving guy I had ever known.

And I was the luckiest girl in the world.