Chapter Two

I didn't hear from Gino again until the next day, at pyramid. Let me point out that this was not very smart on his part because if Abby found out I hadn't severed all connection with him, I'd be in trouble, not to mention she'd have his head on a stick. Pyramid had just ended (me on top) and we were about to start rehearsing. We all went into the room where we keep all of our stuff to put our dance shoes on. My phone buzzed. I froze in fear and my mom instinctively looked down to see a text from Gino on it. She looked up at me and handed my phone over without a word, which I respected.

 From: Gino

Idk why ur mad at me. We used 2 talk all the time and all of a sudden, u just stopped. Did I do something wrong? Did the kissing-thing freak u out?

 "Boy drama?" mom asked.

 "Mom! No!" I said.

 "Gino again?" Kalani asked, pulling on her jazz shoes. I blushed.

 "It doesn't matter," I said, putting my phone in my dance bag. I had more important things to focus on, like my solo.

***

 "Maddie! Turn your feet out! That's the millionth time I've told you today! Get it right!" Abby barked.

 "Sorry, Ms. Abby. My mind is just elsewhere today," I said.

 "Well, get it here. Focus!" she said. I couldn't stop thinking about Gino. 'Snap out of it, Maddie!' I thought. 'Remember what he said about you! He isn't your friend. He probably just wants to use you to seem cool.' "Alright, Maddie," Abby sighed after I messed up again. "Take a short break."

 "Mads, whats up?" Kalani asked when I got to the bathroom. We both stood at the sink, looking into the mirror and fixing our makeup. "I can tell there's something...off about you today."

 "Nothing. I'm fine," I said. It's times like this I wish Chloe was still around. She'd understand how I felt and would know what to do. But I don't have her anymore. The show is ruining my life.

 "Has this 'Gino thing' got you off?" she lowered her voice and looked into my eyes, seriously wanting to help.

 "No, no. It's not that. I probably just need to get used to my new surroundings," I lie. We'd just moved to LA and this was our first week in the new studio, but I can dance anywhere, anytime and we both know it. But still, she mutters an, 'okay' and leaves the room without another word. Kalani is one of my closest friends and I don't want to lie to her, but the truth is, she's right. This 'Gino-thing' really does have me off today. Maybe if I dance a little more, I can shake it off.