Year 2: Family Affairs

Hanni and Haerin were waiting outside the hallway for the Slytherin Quidditch team tryout results. A few people came running down the hallway, one person holding a piece of paper and hung it against the castle's wall.

"Why is everyone crowding around the paper?" Hanni mumbled as Haerin kept jumping up and down in excitement.

"It's the results for the Quidditch team!" Haerin said as she shook Hanni's shoulder. The older girl raised an eyebrow amusingly at her, surprised to see Haerin act in such a way. The younger girl suddenly stopped and became nervous, pouting her lips a bit while fiddling with her fingers.

"I don't think I'll make the team..." Haerin said timidly.

"Don't jinx yourself!"

"Jinx? Why would I use dark magic on myself?" Haerin asked confusingly. Hanni mentally face palmed herself as she forgot Haerin wasn't a muggle and didn't understand the connotation of it.

"Nevermind, it's a muggle thing."

Haerin nodded, "thought you were telling me to use dark charms on myself..." She chuckled nervously.

A few students were shouting in excitement, walking away in either joy or disappointment. Hanni stood behind Haerin, waiting to hear the result. Her hands were shaking, "What is it? Did you make it?"

"I—" she started.

"You?"

There was a big pause after that. Hanni felt her anxiety rising until Haerin quickly turned around and exclaimed, "I made it!"

Hanni punched her arm lightly, "Yah! You scared me! I was starting to think you didn't get in."

"Well, I made it didn—" Haerin was interrupted when someone came pushing and shoving through the crowd. "Move it! I need to see it."

They looked towards the loud voice, and saw a bunch of third-year Slytherins crowding around. Minji was also there. She was trailing behind the older Slytherins.

"I said move!"

The Slytherin student kept shoving others and telling them to move. Haerin grabbed Hanni's wrist, trying to make way for him. Hanni shook her hand off, "Why should I move?" Hanni grumbled as he scoffed in response.

"Who do you think you are?" She shrugged her shoulders as the guy fumed with more anger. "I'm the son of a wealthy pureblood family!" He shouted and bragged angrily.

Hanni felt annoyance creeping up and decided to speak up against him, "I don't care if you're wealthy, a pureblood or whatever. We're all the same, you're no different."

"I'm nothing like any of you! Especially those Mudbloods!" He spat out rudely.

Others in the vicinity started chatting in the background, some gasping and shocked at what he had said. Last year, Hanni recalled asking Danielle what "mudblood" meant because it was an unknown word to her. It means "filthy blood," which is derogatory to half-bloods or muggles.

"That's enough."

Minji caught Hanni's attention as she turned her way. They had a brief moment of eye contact before Minji turned her focus to the other Slytherin.

"We don't need you two fighting right now. We only came from the Quidditch selection spots," she said.

"Whatever."

He looked at the paper, his ears turning red and steam practically coming out of it. "Wha—How did I not make it?!" The male Slytherin looked ready to punch someone into the ground. He eventually tossed the paper in the air, walking away while causing a tantrum. Some of the Slytherins followed after him, while some stayed.