02 | Realization

[Setting: Future]

THE BAR WAS messy, and the furniture remaining was tattered and wearing away, but it was the best one you and Crimson could find in the Greed Ring. It was the quietest part of town where the least people were fighting at and in. 

You and Crimson sat at the side of the bar, huddled in a booth across from each other. The boarded-up window the booth sat by let little to no light through, but rays of green light beamed through the cracks. Crimson's shadowed face was empty as he listened to your story about your life up to this point. 

"I didn't expect it to be so..." You leaned onto the table, running a hand through your hair. You sighed. "To be so bullshit." You wanted to bang your head repeatedly on something, enough to forget the shit hole you're in.

A gloved hand reached out and rested on yours.

You looked up at Crimson, who stared down at his hand holding yours. He sighed, holding your hand with both of his now. "That's quite a lot."

You tipped his chin up, smiling reassuringly at him.

He smiled, but it faded as he looked off to the side.

"You have much better taste in outfits," you teased. He certainly did. You remembered when you first met him. The colours were ridiculous, like whoever dressed him threw on whatever they saw first. He did wear a suit back then, so you guessed it wasn't all that bad. It's been a while since you last saw him.

A warm sensation grew in your heart as his smile returned.

"I guess," Crimson said, looking everywhere but at you. "I should tell you what I've been up to. And-" He squeezed your hand. "I don't think you'd like it."

"I'll decide that when you tell me, Muddy Shoes." You patted his hand with your free one.

He chuckled at the nickname you made for him when you were younger. But you noticed he sounded nervous, and the more you stared, the more you realized how anxious he was. He couldn't sit in one position for too long, continuously shifting in his seat. The taps of his fingers atop yours, his tail swishing around to the point it nearly knocked down a waiter passing by. All was troubling to see.

He exhaled as you squeezed his hand back. Hesitantly, he finally meets your eyes and opens his mouth.

As you listened, your curious and caring face slowly grew concerned.

***

[Setting: Past/Flashback]

"Do you just sit around and do nothing all day?" You sat back into the chair, staring unamused at Crimson, who sat across from you on his bed.

"No," he grumbled. "I do many things. Like shooting."

"Water guns?"

Crimson grunted in annoyance, holding his forehead like you were giving him a headache. "Real guns. Actual guns. A girl like you can't hold guns," he says hotly.

"Pfft." You waved a hand dismissively at him, which he twitched his tail at. "Who told you that lie?"

He stared daggers at you, his shoulders hunched. With a scoff, he rolled over on his side, facing away from you.

You smiled and lifted an eyebrow. "Who lays on top of their blanket?"

Crimson muttered something and covered his ears.

You watched as his back rose and fell with each breath. Your mind began to wander as you looked around his room. How does he feel about this? Being thrust into a marriage? He doesn't look like he likes it any more than you do. His lack of communication confirmed it. 

Your eyes shifted to the floor, tapping your fingers on the arms of the chair. You wanted to know about Crimson. Whether you liked it or not, you did have feelings for him. 

"So, guns, huh?" You tried, internally cringing at your attempt at conservation. Crimson's hands lifted slightly off his ears, but he didn't put them down entirely. You took it as an encouragement to keep going. "Never holded one. What is it like?"

Crimson turned his head to side-eye you, unimpressed. You puffed out your cheeks, your eyes doing a circle around the room. You can't say you didn't try. 

The bed creaked, and you looked back at him. He sat on the edge of his bed now. He gave you one last look and rolled his eyes. 

From there, he rambled on and on about guns. As you listened, it was not that hard to find out his passion for them. He even knew the complex names and described them to you in detail. 

"How can you remember all that?"

Crimson shrugged. "Skill."

You snickered. "it's called having a good memory."

"Yeah, same thing."

You didn't even want to correct him. 

"By the way, what's with your freckles?" He pointed a claw at your face.

You were taken back. "What's with your crippled tail?" 

A hiss raised in his throat. 

"What? I'm not allowed to say that when you said the same thing to me?"

He shook his head. "You're so dumb."

Your eyes darted to the mirror facing him, and you grinned slyly. 

"Not me, you idiot!" 

You propped a fist under your chin, looking away from him. "I don't know why my sister can't marry you." He didn't bother asking about your interests or what you liked. 

You slumped further into the chair. Is this the Imp you're gonna stay with forever?