Chapter One

Darkness slowly faded into light; blue eyes opening slowly and taking in the world through a blurry veil. What had happened...?

"Where is it?!" A sharp voice startled the girl — a short, blonde haired, blue eyed girl — who bore a confused expression. Two men in armor with swords drawn were in front of her, their faces full of obvious anger and frustration.

The girl didn't respond, just stared at the two of them. When she opened her mouth, the only thing that came out was: "...Where am I...?"

Their expressions changed immediately. The one on the right, who seemed like the leader of the small group, stared in appalled anger. The one on the left stared in complete shock, his mouth hanging open slightly, looking quickly to his superior. "You..." the right one started, his words coming out in angry hisses through clenched teeth, "lost your memory?! How can you lose it so easily?!"

"What are you—"

"Sh-she must be bluffing, sir!" The left soldier cut off her question, leaving her in the dark about what had happened to her to cause her to lose her memory. "I didn't even hit her that hard!"

That explained the dull ache in her head, at least.

"Right, good thinking. Go threaten her."

"U-um... H-how, sir?"

The girl, having been watching the two speak to each other, let her gaze land on the right soldier. His expression changed to one of anger yet again. "You fucking idiot! Threaten to push her off the edge!" When her mind processed what he had said, the left soldier gave a quick nod and grabbed her arm, pulling her over to the edge of the airship — It was an airship, right? That would explain how high they were and why it looked as though they were in a boat. — and pressing her up against it.

"Where is it?!"

"I-I don't know what you're talking about," she said frantically, a pleading tone filling her voice as she realized that her life was in this obviously incompetent man's hands. One wrong word and off she would go to plummet to her inevitable death. "I-I don't have anythi—"

"Liar!"

With a hard shove, she felt herself topple over the edge of the boat and start falling through the air. A sharp scream pierced through the air, one that she came to soon realize was her own, as her arms flailed desperately in the air to grab onto some part of the ship before it was too late. Her fingertips grazed against a rope, but the second her fist closed, it was gone. She was helpless, free-falling through the sky, watching the ship disappear the further she fell.

After a while of watching the ship fade away above the clouds, the girl let her eyes slip shut. It was peaceful, almost, to accept her imminent death. For some reason, she felt a familiar feeling. Had something like this happened before? Was it a memory she had forgotten?

Regardless, she figured it wouldn't matter soon enough.

Soon... Any second now and I'll be...

A sharp pain shot itself through the girl's body, making her eyes shoot open and her breath to be knocked out of her. She had landed on something — a big, scaly, green something — and bounced off onto the stone floor. The pain from a few moments before subsided into a dull, throbbing ache. Releasing a low groan, the girl pushed up on the floor with her palms so that she was sitting up straight. As her vision returned to normal, she found herself eye-to-eye with the thing — no, the creature — that had broken her fall.

It was a dragon; huge, horned, green with red tinted feathers on its huge wings. Its eyes were huge and brown, gazing curiously at the small girl. It was sizing her up, that much she was aware of. Probably fixing to eat me or burn me alive for disturbing its sleep, was the only pessimistic thought that the girl could think. Everything else was a jumbled, frantic, and terrified mess.