Registering The Marriage

23 August 2022

Getting your marriage registered was not an easy case. Not only was the marriage itself hard, the registration itself could take months of preparation. For Fransesca and Clayton, who took sixteen years to finally ask the question and say 'I do', it was not an easy matter as well. It might seem to take minutes for him to finally ask that last night, but it took years of courage to do so.

Next to the National Museum of Singapore, Fransesca and Clayton were now at the Registry of Marriage office along with their lawyer to help. He just knew that the requirements as well as the documents needed to register their marriage would be this complicated, or it was just him who knocked his head and forgot what he went through several years ago.

Well, Fransesca couldn't blame him. His previous marriage took place sixteen years ago and with them divorcing soon after with the help of the lawyer, slash only in documents but not legally changing their status, it became a different issue.

"So we're going to fill the documents first for a solemnization date? But then, before that, we're going to need to verify our documents through online video calls or by coming here again?" asked Fransesca. Their lawyer, Kwak Lee, nodded his head as he helped the couple go through their documents that they've prepared earlier this morning.

"Have you chosen your solemnization date, Fransesca?" asked Clayton. Fransesca nodded as she wrote down her decision on the date, the solemnizer, time, as well as the venue. She then handed it to Kwak Lee. "Are you choosing the closest date available, sweetheart?" he asked again. "Yes, twenty one days after today. I saw that the date was available for both of us."

He went through all the documents needed for their notice of marriage before handing everything to the lawyer sitting with them. "I'll be right back to take care of all these documents and hand you the summary once everything is done already. You'll be getting the summary right after you successfully filed your notice." Kwak Lee told them, excusing himself from the table as he left for the registration staff and desk.

Fransesca smiled at Clayton as he caressed her cheek softly. "Are you nervous, sweetheart?" asked the man. "I am, Clayton. We haven't told Christine regarding this as well. She'll be home from her friend's house this evening. I'll break the news to the young lady." she answered nervously, nearly stuttered. "Don't be. You don't need to be nervous. It will take some time for us to finally be able to receive our marriage license." he responded.

The lecturer could only laugh when she heard him. For sure to shoo away her nervousness inside her heart. It's not an easy decision so she's trying to convince herself that marrying Clayton was her one and only wish and she would never regret her decision to have him by her side, for the rest of her life.

It took almost thirty five minutes or perhaps more until their lawyer approached them with a file of documents in his hands. "This is the summary you'll need for your document verification later. They'll inform and email you with the details as well. Both of you must be present at that time to proceed to the next step, the solemnization day itself. Then, you'll be receiving your marriage certificate."

They both nodded their heads as they understood every single thing that their lawyer said. Marriage wasn't easy, indeed. They now understand why; and Clayton supposed to know more about this, though now he was seen as more clueless than the bride who never got to experience marriage previously.

"This would be it for today, Mr and Mrs Kingsley. All set already. We're just going to wait for the next appointment and the solemnization day." Kwak Lee said to the couple as he bowed himself. "Thank you so much for your help, Mr Kwak. It means a lot to us, especially on this very special occasion." she thanked the man.