The Melting Icebergs Part Two

22 September 2022

Their meetings in the drop-off zone of the main building of the National University of Singapore ended up with Anderson taking his daughter into the Rhee Residence, the house which Fransesca grew up and live in for almost three decades before things started to fell apart and they decided that they would live their separate lives without any intervention from each other for the best of their sakes.

This would be her first time stepping inside the house after years and somehow, emotions started to build up inside her heart and it was kinda overwhelming for the expecting mother. She followed her father as she looked around, reminiscing the days she spent here with her father and also her late mother. Everything seemed to be perfect until that day when she found out about Christine's presence and existence.

"How long has it been?" Anderson asked, in which Fransesca quickly put herself in questions as well. How long? Sixteen years went by after the incident, the same time as when she found out that she's expecting Christine for three months already. Now, she stepped herself back inside the house, also expecting a child— her second one, but now married to the man she loves the most. The man who also is Christine's father.

"Sixteen years."

Fransesca replied but shortly, as she feared that she might say something that might not be to his liking when his heart was at peace, at least for now. She still had no idea what the man would bring up as the topic of their future and upcoming conversation so she kept quiet just like how she always has been. The quiet and obedient Fransesca years ago, when things were much simpler than now.

As she saw how her father gestured her to sit on the sofa, she did it. She sat on the sofa that she never sat on for sixteen years. She gave him a slight smile with a confused stare as she had no idea why the man wanted her to come and follow her. She texted her husband that she'll be late and let her driver know that she'll be home with her friend, so he could turn around and stay at home instead of waiting for her.

"Mrs Kingsley, do you want to drink tea or coffee?"

"Peppermint tea for her, with no sugar. Coffee for me, no sugar."

Anderson told his maid who quickly bowed and walked herself back to the kitchen, to prepare drinks for the owner of the house and the guest, who's also the daughter to the owner. He didn't let her choose her own, but she quickly realized that the man still remembered her favorite drinks. The drink she would probably ask the maid for several seconds ago.

"I found out that you still remember it."
"How can I forget my own daughter's favorite drink?"

His response clearly made her confused, once again. He changed so much that she felt like she couldn't recognize him now. This wasn't the Anderson Rhee that she knew after the incident. This would be Anderson Rhee before all the things between them happened; when they're still a happy and warm family with no problems in between.

"What is it that you want to talk to me about, Mr Kingsley? I know that you've talked and met my daughter without asking for my permission beforehand." Fransesca asked as she looked into her father's eyes for an explanation, yet she still had no idea what he had in mind. He had no idea why the man wanted to talk to her here, when things between them were something that she saw as irreparable after years of ego and anger.

"Us. I want to talk about us and all the matters between us. I'm sorry that I talk to your daughter without asking for your permission beforehand and talk about things that you thought would be harmful for her and those around her." Anderson said. "But let me do what I need to do after those years of drifting you apart from my life. For those years when I leave you struggling alone with nothing and no one besides you, driving you into the madness of life when I clearly can make a decision that would work better for us."

"I know that being pregnant out of wed-lock and not wanting to say the name of the man who did it to me back then was also a mistake, but I have my reasons in which you would never understand. I wanted to work things out between me and him but I know you better than anyone else, even than mama. I know how you would act and respond to the information. But really, disowning me and letting everyone know that I'm a worthless child who doesn't deserve your love and place in this family...? Everyone in the whole country knew how I was ridiculed by people around me for being kicked out by the richest man of Singapore who's also my father."

"I'm happy with my life now, with my daughter, my husband, and my baby. I don't want to fight or be in any kind of drama anymore. If you want to disown me still and let me go, that's okay. I understand. But please don't drag me or take my children away from me. I only have Christine in my life."

"No," Anderson sobbed when he realized that Fransesca thought he would take her children away from her and Clayton after all these times, the reason why he met his granddaughter for the first time days ago. "It's not because of that, Fransesca. Never once I want to take them away from you, knowing your sacrifices back in the days just for your child. Being selfless as always and trying your best to keep her happy and safe no matter what you need to go through."

"I want to apologize for whatever I've done to you, Christine, and Clayton. I know that I did something so bad that it broke your heart to pieces. I'm sorry that I acted like trash instead of a father. I want to welcome you back into the family. I feel lonely and stupid now that I realized how I act back in the days towards you. I miss my daughter and I want to try to be a good father and grandfather."

Fransesca will always be Fransesca. Upon hearing his words, she couldn't hold her tears back and started to cry. She cried her heart out and let her pain and emotions mixed as one in tears. Anderson moved towards her and hugged his crying daughter tightly, not wanting her to be in absolute pain after those painful years. He wanted to see her happy just like how she always has been these days.

"I never hate you. I'm just... disappointed, papa." she cried in his hug. He patted her back and cried his heart out as he felt how painful the life his daughter had been. He made her this way. The fragile daughter that he hurt badly yet still able to forgive him for whatever she went through back in the days. He realized how stupid it was for him to kick her out when she needed him the most. The hardest time she went through.

"You treated me like a daughter that never existed in your life for sixteen years and I have no place to go but to stand on my own back then, all these years." she told him between her cries as she wiped her tears away with her hand. "Do not cry, Fransesca. You're carrying a baby. You don't want your baby to be in sadness, right? You want your baby to be well and okay. It's my fault. I'm sorry for everything that I've done and caused you." Anderson said.

Fransesca nodded her head as she cupped her father's face and cried again. She missed him just like how he missed her in silence all these time. He missed her so bad that he couldn't even see into her eyes as he knew how he created so many wounds in her heart by today.

"I promise I'll bring you to the whole family. To Clayton and his parents. I promise I will let them know that my father has always been there by my side, papa." she said to him between her cries. He hugged her tightly again as he gently patted her back. "Whenever you're ready. All I want to ask from you today is forgiveness and nothing more, my dearest Fransesca Adelaidine Rhee." he said.

The father and daughter finally make up for their broken relationship after sixteen years.

to be continued.