Laura Whitlock

22 April 2022

I'm breathing against the glass of the window. It is foggy out here in the forests of Cape Disappointment, Washington.

Yeah, that's the name of this place. Cape Disappointment got its name from a disappointed British explorer. He had high hopes to find a river and claim it for England. However, the Bay had deceived him and there was no such river.

I live in a small house looking into the Pacific ocean and the Columbia river. I watch the waves go back and forth during the day. At night, the crickets chirp. I get to watch the dolphins dozing off in the distance, resting motionless and serene at the surface of the water. 

But today, I cannot see the dolphins. Yesterday's storm is the reason. What a tremendous storm. The dolphins must have sought deeper waters. Those intelligent creatures.

The North Head Lighthouse lights up the dark. All I can think whilst I'm looking out of the window is wow. Wow because I'm breathing. I'm here. The sea's here. 

I'm alone, but I'm here. 

And no one knows I'm here. The local populace is very less. (People fear the rising sea levels. If you ask me, I don't really care. I'd give everything to live on this beautiful abode.) They just go on about their business. What do they care about me anyway? 

No one can ring me; I never had a telephone. I can sit all day, catch fishes and hunt in the woods. Free from the hassle of the world. Free in the lap of nature. 

There's a soggy marsh not far from where I live. The water runs like veins in the green marshland. They look like the veins of life. Tomorrow, I will rise and go into the marshes. I love to feel the mud sinking up to my waist. The same way I love it when the sea waves leap and run over my feet. Then walking on moist grass and immersing my feet in the sand, feeling their soft threads weaving around my toes.

They say that I am crazy. That I left my "life" for this. A good career, money and my family. That I will most likely be eaten sooner or later by alligators or a sea fish. 

So I say to them: they're afraid. They fear the waves. 

They say I cannot stop the waves. 

But I can surely learn to surf.