002. pinkie promises!

CHAPTER TWO !

CHAPTER TWO !

.*

WHEN ESTELLA WOKE UP, she was alone in the tent. daryl wasn't there, and neither was tommy. she whimpered a little, the fear of abandonment rising heavily in her stomach as she quickly kicked her way out of her sleeping bag, her bare feet touching the bottom of the tent as she unzipped it, running out of it with panic clear on her face. she saw maggie on the porch of the house, talking to glenn - she was quick to run over, tears in her eyes at the overwhelming fear.

maggie was quick to notice the tears rising in the young girls eyes as she ran over to her, her bare feet hitting the grass and her pyjamas fitting too big on her small frame. she ran up the steps, out of breath before continuously tapping maggie.

"hey, hey, what's up?" maggie asked, leaning to her level.

"i woke up, daryl and tommy aren't there." she cried.

"it's okay! daryl's gone huntin', he'll be back in a couple hours." maggie said, wiping the tears from the young girls face, and pushing her curls out of the way. "as for tommy, he came out the tent when daryl did this mornin.' he was lookin' a little bored waitin for you to wake up, so beth took 'im on a walk. don't worry, darlin', he's in safe hands and so are you."

"b-but daryl is definitely coming back?" she asked.

"yes, darlin', he is. but hey, what do ya say we give ya a nice warm bath, get ya dressed and then we can do down with isabella to the stables?" maggie asked, trying to cheer her up.

glenn smiled as he watched his girlfriend talk to the girl that had clear issues, it was sweet. he watched as estella smiled widely as maggie picked her up and walked her over to the tent where she and daryl slept, to get her out some clothes for the day. glenn took that as his sign to go and find rick and shane, and do something useful with his day.

maggie got estella an outfit out of her backpack, and then went to the bathroom with her, where she filled the tub up with warm water and bubbles. estella took off her pyjamas and got in the bath. it had been so long since she had gotten clean in hot water, or gotten clean at all. she didn't know how to work the shower back at home, so she couldn't wash when her parents left. it felt refreshing.

maggie closed the toilet seat and sat on that as she watched the younger girl play with beth's old rubber ducks.

"why does daryl go hunting?" estella asked, putting the ducks back down on the side of the bath and patting them all individually on the head, making maggie smile.