Tangled up in blue

MIKAELSON MANSION

[Hayley is sitting cross-legged on the floor in Elijah's bedroom as she reads one of Elijah's thick, leather-bound journals. As she reads, Elijah narrates his journal entries in voiceover. And Ashley is sitting next to her listening to music on her phone.]

Elijah: [voiceover] August 1359. I have noticed a difference in my siblings. Our bond strains beneath the pressure of our life as vampires. Each day removes them further from the humanity we once possessed. My sweet sister, Rebekah, has grown quite indifferent to brutality.
[In a flashback to the previous episode, Rebekah is seen viciously killing the vampires who tried to attack Hayley in the French Quarter]

Elijah: [voiceover] However, the true problem remains my brother, Niklaus.
[In a flashback to the previous evening, Klaus can be seen pouring gasoline over the bodies of the nightwalkers Rebekah killed to protect Hayley, which are piled up in the front yard of the Mikaelson Mansion]

Elijah: [voiceover] He continues to hide his loneliness with cruelty. Still, I cling to the hope that I, as their eldest brother, can lead them down the correct path, a path charged with the power of a family united. For if I fail, our family's legacy will end in darkness.
[Hayley stops reading and walks downstairs with Ashley , and the journal in her hands to find Rebekah and Klaus talking in the foyer]

REBEKAH: [pouts] I cannot believe you disposed of those vampires without me. You know how I love to set things on fire!
Klaus: [smirks] Was I supposed to leave them in the front yard to rot? Besides, they were my responsibility. They attacked the helpless pregnant girl who's carrying my child!
REBEKAH: [rolls her eyes] Oh, I am so moved by your new-found sense of fatherly duties towards the werewolf carrying your hybrid bun in her oven. 
[Hayley and Ashley join them in the foyer]

HAYLEY: The werewolves would like to know what the plan is.
Klaus: Well, that depends what plan you mean, love-- my plan for global domination, or Rebekah's plan to find love in a cruel, cruel world?
[Rebekah takes a pencil from the desk beside her and throws it in Klaus' direction. Klaus catches it easily before it can embed itself in his face. Ashley then throws a book at his head that he didn't catch. Klaus didn't say anything to her just glared at her.]

HAYLEY & Ashley : [sighs] The plan to rescue Elijah. You know, the good brother? The one who is now in the possession of your mortal enemy after you stabbed him in the back?
Klaus: [smirks] In the front, if we're being specific.
HAYEY: You two said that you would get him back. So is there a plan, or what?
Klaus: Okay. Well, firstly, Marcel is not my mortal enemy-- he's my friend. Albeit one who is unaware that I'm trying to sabotage his hold over the supernatural community of the French Quarter, but a friend nonetheless. And secondly, I daggered Elijah in order to gain Marcel's trust. If I had known he would place my brother in the hands of a particularly nasty teenage witch, I certainly would have weighed my options a bit differently. And thirdly-- [He turns to Rebekah and gestures for her to speak]-- Sister, please.
REBEKAH: [pipes up] And thirdly, the plan, as you have demanded, is for Niklaus to simply ask Marcel for Elijah back.
HAYLEY: [incredulous] That's... that's not the whole plan, is it?
Kol then comes walking into the room.
REBEKAH & Kol : [scoffs] Please! Klaus may be a miserable excuse for a sibling, but there is none more diabolical.
Klaus: And that's only the Plan A, love! There's always a Plan B.
HAYLEY & Ashley: And what's Plan B?
Klaus & Kol : [smiles] War.

THE ABATTOIR

[In the compound, Marcel is being fitted for a suit by a tailor while Thierry, who is sitting nearby, talks to him]

MARCEL: [smirks] Damn, I do look good in a suit.
[Thierry chuckles, then turns back to the television, where photos of Tina McGreevy and Joshua Rosza, the tourists that Klaus killed after they had ingested vampire blood at Marcel's party, flash on the screen]