[05]: Kill or Be Killed

2010 Mystic Falls, Virginia

flashback
emerald coast, florida; circa 2008

Mason Lockwood was alone at a bar, in the middle of Spring Break so there were kids everywhere. Girls getting older guys to buy them drinks with a little bit of flirting, but Mason wasn't interested in any of that. He was just here for a couple of drinks and then to leave.

"Alright, Carlos. That's it for me." Mason said to the bartender who nodded his head. Mason left his money for his bill and a tip included on the bar, and he made his way outside. What Mason didn't know was that he was being followed, and when he got to his car.

He was shoved.

Mason quickly whipped around, ready to immediately fight whoever pushed him, until he saw it was one of his old friends. "Hey Jimmy... let's get you home," Mason said, able to tell that his friend was drunk because he was stumbling around and his eyes were half open.

"Screw you!" Jimmy yelled and he pushed Mason again. "I know about you and Marla!" Marla being Jimmy's girlfriend.

"What are you talking about? You've had too much to drink." Mason said, shaking his head, but Jimmy wasn't finished. He had been compelled. To attack Mason until he fought back and killed him. Someone wanted Mason to activate his werewolf curse and the only way to do that.

Is to kill someone.

"Dude! What's up?! It's me, Mason! I'm not messing with Marla. You know that." Mason said to his friend, but Jimmy shook his head and punched Mason square in his face.

"You don't want to do this, buddy," Mason said.

"I'll kill you!"

And indeed he did try to kill him. Jimmy threw Mason on the ground, and while he was down, he kicked him hard in the stomach, and then Mason reached up and grabbed his leg before he could kick him again, he pushed him away from him and stood up to regain his ground. He then picked up Jimmy and threw him down on the ground and Jimmy fell hard.

A sickening crack came from his skull.

"Jimmy? Jimmy?" Mason asked, shaking his lifeless body. He didn't know his own strength and he didn't want to kill his friend, because now he knew the consequence, he looked up at the sky and saw the moon was full, and he looked back at Jimmy in despair.

He was going to turn soon.

⇎⇎⇎⇎⇎⇎

present

Normally, when Skyler Salvatore wasn't with either of her brothers, Elena and Caroline, or Benjamin, she found herself out hunting. If she wasn't doing any of the above, like today, she found herself with Jeremy Gilbert. They seem to have an understanding and agreement that neither of them is the worst company to be around, and Skyler figured she could only push him away for so long. She gave Elena a chance, so why not Jeremy as well?

She could always use another friend she could trust.

"I can't believe Tyler Lockwood is a werewolf," Jeremy said. Since Elena was done lying to him about the supernatural world, Skyler thought it was cool there was one more person she could have these kinds of conversations with. She was just glad she no longer had to pretend to not be a vampire around any of them anymore.

"We're not 100% on that. The only thing we know for sure is that Mason is a werewolf. But it is likely that Tyler has the gene, he most likely hasn't triggered it yet," Skyler said.