Hearts Of Glass

In the startling tales that my dad read me back when I was younger, love had always been that magical force that kept souls united, even in the afterlife, in the afterglow. It was that healing power that won every battle, because love existed throughout, deeply in the hearts of all.

Stunned at the news I received, I quickly tossed the phone I was holding with a grip of sorrow in my shaky arm, on the kitchen table, like it had never even existed. I slowly felt my senses evaporating in the air, in the lingering sweet smell of the pie I had made for him and I dejectedly slumped on one of the chairs, feeling like my world was tearing apart, just like that motorcycle accident did with him. The only thing that I could feel was the blood rushing through my cheeks and a warm shiver of vulnerability embracing my being as if it became a part of me.

I instantly got the mighty feeling that I had to do something about it. Not only did he need me there with him at the hospital, but I also needed to be there with him all along.

My cheeks flushed red as soon as I saw his open wound. My heart skipped a beat each time I glanced at his innocent, sorrowful eyes, which allured me into a wicked game of mercy, a feeling that I had never thought I would feel for somebody so pure in my eyes. I walked towards his bed, still unable to comprehend what had just happened as I tried to lock away my thoughts, and only feel his presence as if he were the most important thing to me. Just because he was.

After spending several hours by his bed, completely changed by this whole avalanche of feelings, I finally left, in order to gather together my thoughts. As soon as I stepped outside the car, in the front yard of the house, a little twinkle appeared on my phone screen, which left an immense, warm grin on my face:

'You are the reason why I keep going on!'

I had been seeing the world in black and white. And he was the color. The only color that I could see.

Love is the only remedy that can heal a wound in one's soul, living happily ever after.