Chapter Thirty-Four

I couldn’t shake the feeling of dread that accompanied Mrs. Connor’s presence at the café. She gave me a sideways glance, her expression cold and indifferent. It was the kind of look that sent shivers down my spine, a fleeting one, but one that lingered long after she turned her attention elsewhere.

As I made my way to the coffee pots, my heart raced. What was she doing here? Was this her final move to bury me for good? I turned on my heel, poured her coffee, and tried to keep my hands steady. "Black," I muttered, handing her the cup. She gave a small nod, sliding a ten-dollar bill toward me.

"I don’t want it," I said, pushing the money back toward her.

She smiled—an eerie, almost predatory smile—and without missing a beat, she said, "Have a nice day." Her voice oozed with condescension, making it clear that the words meant anything but what they were supposed to.

I swallowed hard, feeling the tension rise in the air. “What do you want?” I finally asked, my voice cracking.

"Oh, I'm not here to patronize you, dear," she said, brushing an invisible speck of dust from her jacket. "I’m here to offer you a clean break. Letting Luke end things without making a fuss—it’s commendable, really."

A part of me wanted to lash out, to scream at her, but I knew better. She was baiting me, hoping for a reaction. "It’s not like I have a choice, do I?" I said, forcing my voice to stay steady.

"Smart girl," she purred. "You knew all along, didn’t you? Luke was never meant for someone like you. You dated him for the money, didn’t you? But that's okay. We all have our reasons."

I clenched my fists, the anger simmering just beneath the surface. "I didn't date him for the money," I hissed.

Her eyes gleamed with something dark, something dangerous. "Of course not, darling. But if that's what makes you sleep at night, hold onto it." She slid a plastic garment bag across the counter. "Oh, and you left this behind at Luke’s. I thought it’d be fitting to return it now that… well, everything’s settled."

I stared at the bag, my heart sinking as I recognized the dress. It was the one Luke had given me on our first date, a symbol of a time when things felt uncomplicated, innocent even. Now, it felt like a cruel reminder of how much had changed.

She leaned in slightly, her voice dropping to a whisper. "I think it’ll help Luke move on when he hears how quickly you’ve accepted things. After all, a clean break is always best, don’t you think?"

I snapped, "What did you say to him? What did you do?"

Her lips curled into a smile that didn’t reach her eyes. "I didn’t have to say much, dear. Luke knows what’s best for him. And what’s best for him… is not you."

My throat tightened, but I couldn’t show her how much her words hurt. "I’m not giving up that easily," I said, my voice trembling but determined. "Luke and I—"

"Are over," she finished for me, her tone final. "You may fight all you want, but you’ll never win. Luke is mine, and you… well, you were just a distraction."

Her words hit like a punch to the gut, and I felt myself falter. "You’re wrong," I whispered.

She straightened, her eyes cold. "Oh, sweetheart. I’m never wrong." And with that, she turned on her heel and left, the sound of the café door jingling behind her.

I stood there for a moment, the weight of her words pressing down on me. I couldn’t breathe. I wanted to chase after her, to scream at her that she was wrong, that Luke loved me, that he wouldn’t just walk away because she told him to. But something inside me, something small and scared, told me she might be right.