1

A R T I S T

"Shit!" I yelped, yanking my hand from my pocket as my metal hook pricked my finger.

I repositioned my hand and stuck it into my pocket once more to retrieve the copper wire, I looked down on the little hole in my finger and upon seeing the cut bleed, I grimaced.

I hated seeing blood.

I swiped my finger across my jacket, smearing the crimson red fluid on the material.

I don't understand how people put that shit into their mouths, frigging vampires.. I repulsed, making a shiver run through my body.

I glanced up at the fog that escaped from my nose and rubbed my hands together to warm them and ease stinging pain I felt, the new York temperature was unforgiving around this time.

The stars shined like little fire flies in the night and no clouds were visible, showing off the deep blue globe that we called the atmosphere, people wandered the dark streets, ignoring a predator like me that was lingering in the shadows.

After scanning the area for any cops, I crept around the corner of the alleyway and blended into the busy streets that bustled with people of all kinds, rich, poor, lonely, horny and crazy but tonight I only needed the rich.

They walked around with their heads held high and their pockets filled and I wanted nothing more than to take it from them.

My eyes swept over the faces of unsuspecting people, trying to analyze someone that might be of great potential, that is until a large crowd gathered around the middle of time square captured my attention.

Focused on some gimmickry performances, of acrobats and circus fools, were the crowds attention, that didn't matter to me though, all I wanted was enough money to survive the week ahead and watching performances couldn't suffice.

I moved quickly, hooking into purses and pockets only to come up with nothing.

"Where are the rich people" I grumbled, bumping into a hard body as I walked pass.

"Watch it" the man growled, not sparing me a glance but something caught my attention, his perfume smelled immaculate, surely that wasn't a cheap perfume, I've got whiff of the expensive scent one too many times.

I glanced at the man, who's eyes seemed to be trained on someone on the other side of the performance, I couldn't see his face because it was covered by a black mask, but his eyes, they were dead, cold and evil looking.

A shiver ran up my spine. The man was massive, towering over me with his impressive form, if I was to be caught by him he'd probably crush me.

I had to move fast.

I stopped ogling the strange man and focused on the task at hand, I positioned my hook like I always do, bone straight, hook down and inserted the wire into his pants, grateful that they were the ones with pockets.

I slowly dragged the hook out and it came up back with a black wallet, yes! Skills paid off once again.

I took the wallet off the hook and regarded it, it was very clean made from thick black leather of the highest quality, the stitching made it obvious. With a shrug I glanced at the man once more to make sure that I wasn't caught before making my escape but I was too little too late.

His raging eyes the colours of the night regarded me from under long thick lashes, my eyes widened as he stared at me holding his wallet between my fingers, an embarrassed and mortified blush crept up my face and panic ensued from within me at the mere fact of being caught.