Chapter 1: Future Plans

It had been exactly two years since James and I had been fired. It was also our two year anniversary. I glared down at the diamond ring on my finger. James had proposed only a month into our relationship and would have eloped with me that night but I wasn't ready. I did love him and I knew I wanted to marry him,but I was scared. Me,Alex Walker,one of the best agents of all time was scared.
I walked into the gaming shop that served as the headquarters of our P.I. business and immediately smiled when I saw James.
"There you are!" He said. "I thought you would never show up. We have an appointment in ten minutes."
"I love you too." I said with sarcasm.
"How could I forget? How are you my sweet?"
"I'm a little sad."
"Why?"
"Because its been two years and I still can't get used to the whole small business and boyfriend thing."
"I know its hard but hey! We've got love and that's all that matters!"
"Yeah. Its just so hard."
"Well I have a surprise that will cheer you up!!"
"I swear if you spent more money on me-"
"No it was totally free. I promise."
"Liar. "
"Okay so it cost me some money so what?!"
"You don't have any money remember? ! We got kicked out of the agency! We have a small business in the back of a gaming shop that makes little money. We are broke!!!"
"Lex remember my parents left me their fortune . Besides I was just going to say I got us tickets to Florence."
"Florence?! Florence Italy?!"
"Yep. That's the one."
"That must have cost a crap ton of money! What were you thinking?"
" I was thinking that the tickets were on sale and it would be the perfect honeymoon."
"Honeymoon? But we haven't even set a date for the wedding yet!"
"Exactly. These tickets are for this September so we have six weeks to plan the wedding."
"Babe we've been through this. I'm not ready."
"Do you love me?"
"Of course I do."
"Do you want to marry me?"
"With all my heart."
"Then you're ready. Everybody gets cold feet."
"You're right."
"Of course I am. We will discuss dates after the meeting."
                                                          .   .   .
Our meeting was with a lady who thought her husband was being followed. She was in her late thirties,was extremely tall and seemed to be stuck in the 1940's with her fashion choices.
"And why do you think your husband is being followed,Mrs. Clark?" James asked.
"He seems so preoccupied lately and he is always checking the locks on the doors and windows and insists on the blinds always being shut and the lights on." She said.
"Has he said anything to you about being followed?"
"No. He did mention about running into a strange man a couple of times. I just know something is wrong. Please help me. No one else will believe me."
"Okay Miss we will take the case,but we will need your husbands consent to follow him ourselves."
"Oh no he would never agree to that! You will have to make sure he does not find out."
"Okay then we will go under cover. You say he works at a bank. We could pass as computer technicians."
"Yes please do whatever you must just do not let him find out. He does not like for me to interfere with his business and likes to handle things on his own. If he finds out I hired you I don't know what he will do."
"Privacy is our policy miss. We will do what we can to find out what's going on."
"Oh thank you! You do not know how much this means to me!"
When Mrs. Clark had finally left James said
"Okay now we can talk about the wedding."
"Babe," I replied. "How are we supposed to plan a wedding in six weeks? I mean this job could take longer than that."
"I don't have any family and neither one of us have many friends;we could just have a small church wedding eat some cake and Bam! Wedding over."
"But my dress and who's gonna be bridesmaid and flower girl? And where will I find them a dress? It cant be done, James!"
"Oh really? Well it just so happens that an old friend of mine owns a bridal store and has agreed to give you any dress you want and have it ready in time for the wedding."
"What?!"
"I also know some people who would give us a discount on flowers and the cake and I know a place where we could have the reception for free."
"This is why I love you."
"So what do you say? Think we could get married in six weeks?"
"Absolutely! "