Prologue

Mugman stirred and slowly opened his eyes. He rolled over onto his side and saw that it was 2:34 am. He stood up to go and grab a glass of water when he froze. There were little red and orange lights outside the window, dancing against a pitch black sky. There was shouting that was slowly coming closer. Mugman ran to shake Sonic awake, panicking. "Sonic, wake up! there's people approaching!" Sonic grunted and blinked his eyes open. "Wh..what?" Mugman grabbed Sonic's arm and they ran to the window. Their gaze was met with a mob of angry villagers from their old hometown. Mugman gasped, covering his mouth with his hand. Sonic tensed.

"Mugs, i think... i think they're coming after us. I think the Devil has found us." Sonic paused for a moment, then continued. "I need you to take the kids and run as far away as you can in the other direction."

Mugman looked at Sonic with tears in his eyes. "But what about you, Sonic? I'm not leaving you!"

"Don't worry about me. Go!" Sonic pointed at the door to the children's bedrooms. One child was six and the other was four. Mugman's throat burned as he shook them awake. They're too young for this... I have to get them out. "Hey, kiddos, we have to go somewhere... come on, let's hurry."

"But Papa, we wanna sweep!" Blip, the six year old, yawned. "It's still dawk outside!"

Mugman sighed and just picked up his children. "I know, but we don't have time. Let's go!" They rushed out the back door. Mugman sprinted away from the house but whipped around when he heard a loins bang. It was a gunshot, followed by a shout of anguish. However, the scream was cut off, interrupted by a loud BOOM. Mugman screamed "SONIC!" as the house they built with their own hands exploded. He fell to his knees, sobbing uncontrollably. His kids were crying behind him, scared by the loud noises but oblivious as to what happened. Mugman felt so weak and powerless, but he picked himself up from the ground. Covered in dirt, he took one last look at the fire and ran, clutching his children.

This wasn't over.

He would get revenge.