Chapter 1-Origin

Chapter 1

A little girl's scream rattled windows. Rain beat down on them from the other side, angry, harsh wind screaming past.

"Run, Eren!"

But Eren did not run. She couldn't. The terrible scene before her had paralyzed her. Fire leaping across the walls, smoke crawling along the ceiling.

Her father was standing in the flames, screaming. Her little mind didn't understand what was happening, only that her father was in great pain. Her mother shouted at her, but she couldn't hear it.

It was supposed to be a fun trip, to the science museum across the street. How were they to know that there were scientists genetically mutating atoms beneath their feet? How were they to have predicted that following the screams would lead to this?

Her father was too good a man; her mother had always said this. When the fire alarm started to ring, he had not left, but run farther in. Her mother had pushed Eren toward the door and run after him. Eren had followed.

There was no one here but them; she was watching her father die and she didn't even know it.

Her mother screamed at her again as the flames grabbed her legs. Eren gasped, then coughed; she was choking. She couldn't run. Then Eren screamed; the room was exploding.