CHAPTER NINE

Lorem's skin felt like it was crawling, his inside completely disturbed, his heart out of rhythm, simply because the boy he found irritating insisted on following him with his sad words and stories. He didn't just follow. He insisted on walking alongside him.

When Lorem thought more about it, he was sure the boy decided to leave him alone during his tantrums this morning after sleeping outside their room. So what had changed? He could only proceed that the boy's memories were short. Very short like the time be beloved he had left.

Since the boy was a lost cause, and it seemed like nothing he said would keep him away, Lorem decided to focus his energy on someone that mattered.

Lorem opened his hand that swirled with smoke and sent an errow to his sister to check in on her. He saw her from a distance at breakfast and lunch, and each time she waved happily, but something about her smile told him she wasn't as happy as she pretended to be. And truthfully, he couldn't blame her. He had not spent this much time apart from his birth mate since learning she existed.

"Look, cute girls!" Dwren said, gushing, elbowing him in the arm, and breaking him from his thoughts.

Lorem shut his eyes before glaring at him.

"Sorry, sorry!" Dwren replied.

"You even have time to think of girls?" Lorem said, surprised.

"Of course, I have eyes," Dwren uttered.

Lorem narrowed his eyes at him but didn't reply. He could have been fooled, based on how Dwren loses his wit around the senior.

When the girls passed, they looked at the two of them and started gushing. And when Lorem saw Dwren's smiling back, he almost slapped the sense back into him.

When Dwren passed one of the girls, and she waved at him, he turned to approach her, but Lorem grabbed his arm.

When Dwren's eyes widened, Lorem realized what he had done and immediately dropped his arm like it was cold.

"Boys and girls are separated for that very reason, but I suppose you did not read the rules?" Lorem scolded.

"Are you worried I'd be sent beyond the wall?!" Dwren teased.

Lorem rolled his eyes and walked away from him.

"Headmaster said dawn to dusk, which means evening hours. We can communicate in passing and during lessons if they are coed," Dwren replied.

Lorem didn't pay him any attention. He just started to walk faster towards the building that wrote 'library.'

"Wait for me," Dwren uttered, jogging to keep up. "I think I know why we are forbidden to communicate in the evenings."

Lorem was busy trying to put distance between him that he wasn't listening.

"I heard stories that someone was with child on the island and lost the baby. They want to prevent that from happening again," Dwren replied.

Lorem stopped and turned back with wide eyes, which caused Dwren to stiffen. Before he opened his mouth to scold the idiot about the things he had time for, he saw his sister, who smiled as she walked through the entrance with books in her hand.

"I see you can smile, but only for your sister. It's kinda sweet," Dwren teased.

Lorem rolled his eyes and approached his sister.

"I can carry this for you," Lorem told her.

"No, you shouldn't. You would get in trouble if seen heading toward our lodging," Lora replied, pushing back the loose strands of her unkept hair that she had never had to care for on her own. "Prince Dwren, it is good to see you again," she said, turning to him.