Chapter 2: You couldn't possibly believe that

Azriel cursed himself for making eye contact with her. He could have sworn he saw the hurt he had caused surfacing in those beautiful doe-eyes. Elain quickly looked away from him, as she took her spot beside Feyre, the two of them standing behind Nesta.

Clotho began the ceremony by placing herself between Nesta and Cassian. "We have all gathered here today to bear witness to one of the most powerful mating bonds of our lifetime." Azriel's eyes wandered to her again, but she did not look at him. "Mating bonds are rare and special, the mother's way of ensuring eternal companionship. You may exchange vows."

Cassian reached for Nesta's hand, "Love, I did not know I could feel it, I didn't think I deserved it. Not even that I wanted it, not until you came along. But love is a word that is much too small. It is used far too often to ever describe the fierce, infinite and blazing passion that I have in my heart for you, Nesta Archeron. My life's greatest honour is being your mate."

Tears began to pool in Nesta's blue eyes. "Cassian, you believed I would be okay when no one else did, just Az maybe," she said, earning a chuckle from everyone. Wiping her tears away she continued, "You reached out for me despite everything. It was you who taught me that I could work through my pain, and that life was worthwhile. That I deserve to be loved. I love you Cassian, thank you for choosing me, and loving me. I cannot promise that our life together will be without its challenges, but I promise to try." Cassian reached for her face and kissed her. When they let go of each other, Elain handed Nesta the soup she had made for Cassian. "Are you sure Elain didn't make this Nes?" he said after sipping and handing the dish back to Elain.

Ignoring Cassian's terrible joke, Rhysand stepped in front of the two, reaching for Nesta and then Cassian's hand, tying them together with a piece of black ribbon "the next part has been done many times already I imagine" he joked "so this concludes it, you both are mates, in the truest sense. Let us celebrate."

                                                                                        🗡                          

Elain watched everyone as they danced, Cassian and Nesta at the centre with everyone else dancing around them. Elain hated feeling like this, envying her sisters for finding love, one she could never have. She often wondered why her mate couldn't also be someone she loved? Was something wrong with her? Nesta was against Cassian at first, but she did not know they were mates-- not until she had already fallen in love with him. Why couldn't she be lucky like her sisters? It had been two years and Elain felt nothing looking at Lucian. She doubted he felt any different from her. He hadn't said or done anything to make her believe otherwise. No one loved her, not in the way it mattered, not in the way Rhys and Cassian loved her sisters. "Elain, was it?" a raspy voice jolted Elain from her thoughts, a tall, slender male with white hair and rich brown skin was beaming at her.

"Yes. hmm." Elain was trying to remember the High Lord's name. "Lord Tarquin," she added quickly.

"Please call me Tarquin," he insisted.

"Sure, Tarquin." Elain forced a smile.

"Tell me Elain, why is a lady as beautiful as you not dancing? I could have sworn you have a mate. If I were him, I would be very worried about someone else wooing you away.".

Elain had heard from Feyre that Tarquin took a liking to her before she had mated with Rhysand, that he was rather shy and reserved. But this high Lord with wine in hand seemed different. Everything was different now, everyone was different, and even the one person she thought would never change was different.