Chapter 2: "You Don't Remember Me?"

Damian entered onto the public bus, grateful that there wasn't many people on it

Damian entered onto the public bus, grateful that there wasn't many people on it. These past couple days out of prison have been tough for Dame. He noticed all the looks he received from strangers. Many would stare at his ankle monitor and chat amongst themselves. Some would scrunch up their faces in disgust. The most memorable moment, however, was  the day he got out of prison. He went on the bus and asked if he could sit next to an older white lady, since the seat next to her was the only available one. Instead of her just saying yes or no, she got up from her seat and moved away from Damian. She just stood until the bus stopped at her destination.

But strangers were the least of his concern at the moment. He was only focused on two people, Ciara and Adonis.

He pulled out a Polaroid picture of him and Ciara that she sent him when he was in prison out his leather duffle bag. Damian smiled as he saw himself kissing Ciara on her cheek, as she showed that dimpled smile that he missed so much. The first two years of prison, she would visit him all the time and send him letters and pictures. But, as the years started to progress, she stopped showing up. He would write letters to her, and she would never reply. He became sad and was fearful that she moved on and found someone else. The same Polaroid picture he was holding in his hand, was the same picture that he held close to heart every night before going to sleep. That picture kept him sane through all 18 years of prison. The picture also gave him so hope that he would be reunited with his baby again.

As far as Adonis is concerned, Dame felt many emotions towards him, two of those being anger and resentment.

How could Adonis leave him like that? He spent 18 years in prison while Adonis was living a successful life. The life that Dame should've had. When the guards would let certain inmates watch TV, they would always turn to the boxing channel. He would watch Adonis's matches and even saw  the last match he did before retiring. Every time he would watch it, there was envy and anger that was inside of him. After all, he was in prison because of Adonis. Damian wrote letters to him, too. Adonis would never respond. He completely abandoned him. But, there was a part of him that still loved Adonis. Even after everything that happened, Dame still viewed him as his little brother. He never snitched or told anyone that Adonis was the cause of all that went down that night. However, Adonis owed Damian, big time. Before Damian went to jail, he was on the road to becoming the next biggest thing that boxing has ever seen. That one night changed everything. Now that's he out, he plans on finishing what was started.