-You're Up

Dinosauria,  Animalia, Chordata...

Ruby poured over everything. She had been here for months and she still couldn't believe these amazing beasts were right outside the colony's fences. It was like a dream come true!

 A throat cleared behind her, making her jump a little. She spun around to find the Commander standing there behind her. How long he had been there, she didn't know. "Oh, sorry Sir, I didn't realize-"

"No need to apologize," he said.  "I didn't want to interrupt, you were hard at work. But we do have an update."

"The Professor! Did you find him?"

"We found his boots."

"Oh-" She crinkled her nose in confusion. "Why would he take his shoes off?"

"His feet were still in them," Taylor stated. "The rest of his body was gone."

It was gruesome, but there was no way to get around it.

Ruby sank back into a chair, eyes nearly popped out of her skull, dazed. Oh...

"I'm very sorry, Doc."

"Yeah, me too..." Working with fossils was one thing, but working with the actual creatures themselves was something else entirely - and massively more dangerous. 

"This means you are our new Head Paleontologist and Dino Expert. You'll still report to Malcolm."

"Yes, Sir," she said, unfocused.  She understood the implications of his words: "You're up Doc, it's up to you now."

The Colony's safety from their neighbours was all in her hands. 

No pressure. None at all.

"Can we have a service for him?" she asked, her voice cracking with tears.

"Of course we can."

"Thank you."

Dr. Phillips had been her professor and mentor for years, and was the whole reason she had come to Terra Nova when she did. When she had no one, she had him. And now he was gone, for good, taken down by the creatures he loved and admired so much and that he was so fascinated by.

Taylor paused before he turned to leave.  "And Doc?"

"Yes?"

"As of right now, all OTG missions for scientists are strictly forbidden."

She'd been afraid of that. "Yes, Sir."

(Not only is SLang in this show, but it's such an interesting concept, so of course I was inspired! Also the perfect place for my love of paleontology!

This was inspired by Episode 4: What Remains.

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed this first little part! :))