Chapter 5: The Duel

Flashback

Aki: What is this man's name, if you don't mind me asking?

Shinobu: Oh, I don't mind! You'll need to know his name if you want to get along, after all! Tomorrow, go to Shimoamazu village and ask around for a man named... Kenshin Himura.

The devil hunter froze in place upon hearing that name. 

The image of the scarred guard from a few days ago came to his mind. His little sister owned the Himura Ryokan that Aki stayed in when he arrived in the new world. Rukia, the innkeeper, mentioned that her brother's first name was "Kenshin", and after putting the pieces together, the Aki concluded that the name Shinobu mentioned belonged to the gatekeeper.

He sensed that something was off about Kenshin when the guard gave him that death glare after asking if he'd cause trouble, but he never expected the man to be a former assassin. 

Aki: I-I think I might have encountered this man before...

Shinobu: You have? Well that's great! I'm sure he'll recognize you, then!

End of Flashback

Kenshin: Oro...?

The gatekeeper did not recognize Aki at all.

The devil hunter was sure that clothes such as his would be pretty easy to remember. After all, in a town full of people clothed in traditional Japanese clothing, he was the only one wearing a suit and tie, as well as a pair of sneakers.

Kenshin: I'm sorry, but have we met before?

Aki couldn't help but deadpan at Kenshin's forgetfulness. It's been a little over a week, so forgetting someone who caused a bit of a ruckus upon entering the town shouldn't be easy. He decided to jog his memory by reintroducing himself.

Aki: I am Aki Hayakawa. If you don't remember, I came to this town a little over a week ago. I attracted a lot of attention and asked to stay at your little sister's inn, remember?

After hearing the devil hunter's explanation, everything clicked for the scarred swordsman. It was as if a lightbulb lit up on top of his head.

Kenshin: Ah, I remember now! I apologize, my memory is not at its best, that it is. Welcome back to Shimoamazu, Aki-dono.

He gave a respectful bow.

Kenshin: What brings you back to town, Aki-dono? Also, I heard from my sister that you left the inn without warning, and she's been growing quite concerned about you leaving, that she is. I will make sure to inform her that you haven't gone missing or anything like that.

Aki: I'm sorry for leaving on such short notice. I initially left the ryokan to go on a midnight walk but some things... happened. Actually, shouldn't you know about this, Kenshin-san?

Kenshin tilted his head in confusion, and a question mark seemed to pop up next to his head.

Kenshin: Oro? What do you me—

It was at this moment when Kenshin remembered everything.

Flashback

It was a day after the incident on top of the mountain. Aki's unconscious body was carried back to the Butterfly Mansion by a pair of Kakushi. Kenshin had gone to the shrine in order to investigate what happened. He was currently inside the shrine, examining the corpse of the shrine maiden.

Kenshin: This is unforgivable, that it is... What have the demons done to you, Yamato-dono?

The old lady was nearly unrecognizable due to the amount of bite marks and damage to her corpse. This was a very disturbing and horrific end to a woman of faith such as herself. The former assassin could only dread to think about what happened here.