Harmed

"Amietta," a wispy voice calls into the darkness.

I stumble over my own feet, putting as much distance between myself and the creepy voice that I can. My back slams into a damp wall. I lose my footing, slipping onto the hard concrete and scraping my elbow. I cry, my sobs echoing loudly in the tiny room.

"Mama!" I call out, scrambling to my feet. "Help me! Please!"

I place my palm on my bleeding elbow and cry even louder at the stinging sensation.

"Calm down, child," the woman orders firmly. "Listen to me."

I squint, searching in the darkness for the owner of the mysterious voice. Mama told me not to be so scared. She said that if I found the voice, it might not scare me anymore.

I furrow my brow and take a blind step forward, determined to be brave this time.

"Hello?" I whisper.

A hand comes down on my shoulder, gripping me tightly. I yell out and try to run, but the woman prevents my escape.

"Amietta, open your eyes."

It takes me a while, but I do it– one eye and then the other. I stare at the blonde woman, terrified of what she might do to me. Her bright blue eyes pierce into mine. They seem to light up the room with their dim glow. It's scary the way they breathe light into the darkness.

"You are but a child," she mumbles with a frown. "No matter. Listen to me– one day you will obtain the Niraki." She pins me with a scolding stare. "You mustn't open it. Do you understand?"

I gulp and shrink into myself, instinctively taking a step back. My movements are halted by the woman's firm grip on my shoulder.

I begin to cry again– I can't help it.

I tried to be brave, Mama, I think to myself. But this lady is too scary.

"Let me go!" I shriek. "Mama help me!"

_____

I snap up in bed, ripping the blanket off of my body. "Mama!" I call out.

She comes stumbling through the door, taking me in with a worried look as she kneels beside me. She pulls me into a warm hug, the type of embrace that only she knows how to give.

"It's okay, Amietta," Mama soothes, running her fingers through my sweat-stained hair. She hums sweetly against my ear. "You're safe, Ami. It was only a nightmare."