Chapter 26: Confrontation on the Bridge

"Yo!" the Monster Kid called out.

Great. Just great. I'm on a bridge, one I knew was HIGH above the ground, and I just wanted to get off. And once again, this guy finds us. And here he was, at the worst possible time.

"U-um, can I step back, and off-" I started, only for the Monster Kid to talk over me.

"No, wait, don't go!" he interrupted. And now he's not letting me leave.

The Kid walked up to us, saying, "yo, I know I'm not supposed to be here, but... I wanna ask you something."

"Is that all!" I replied, a little too loud, but could you blame me at this point?

"Woah, sorry, I-" the Monster Kid sputtered. "Uh, calm down... I need to know." And there was an awkward pause. "...Man, I've never had to ask anyone this before... Um... yo- you two, you're humans, ...right?"

"Y-yeah," I said, with Frisk nodding in agreement. She grabbed my hand, trying to pull me back off the bridge, but the Monster Kid stepped forward. He couldn't cut us off, the bridge wasn't wide for him to slip past us. But I could tell he didn't want us to leave.

And I was already antsy as it was.

"...Y... you just figured that out, huh?" I joked. "Um, could I-"

"Hahahah," Monster Kid laughed. "Man! I knew it! ...well, I know it now, I mean... Undyne told me, um, 'stay away from that human.' So, like, um... I guess that makes us enemies or... something?"

No, I thought, unless you want us to be. Or you won't let me GET OFF THIS D*** BRIDGE!

"But I kinda stink at that, haha... So, say something mean so I can hate you? Please?"

Oh, he's giving me one amazing reason to tell him off.

But then I felt Frisk's tiny hand grab my shirt.

...No. I had to prove to Frisk that kindness was the right way. I... I could swallow my fears for the moment.

"No, kid, no need for that," I answered him.

"Yo, what? So I have to do it?" he replied. Before I could stop him, he gave it a try. "Here goes nothing... Yo, I... I hate your guts."

I gave him a nervous eyebrow raise.

"Man, I... I'm such a turd," the Kid admitted. "I'm... I'm gonna go home now."

He began to step back, and turned around (to my relief). But as he was about to leave, a shadowed figure appeared from the other end of the bridge, stepping into the light.

"Un-Undyne!?" Monster Kid exclaimed, stepping back as the armored monster stepped onto the bridge.

F***, I thought.

Monster Kid began to stutter, ...as his foot hit some loose boards on the bridge.

He fell, but managed to catch his chin on the side of the bridge. "Yo, w-w-wait! Help! I tripped!" he managed to cry out, before slipping further and barely managing to catch onto a board with his teeth. Without arms, he had no hope of pulling himself back up...

F***! I began to rush over to the Monster Kid, completely ignoring Undyne's presence.

But I looked down at the Kid, kneeling to grab him... I couldn't ignore the chasm below.

We were so high up...

And I was beginning to panic.

"I... I..." I sounded, trying to reach for him, but not quickly.