The Civil War: The Glimpse into the Future

Prologue

Ulysses Grant backhanded the sweat on his brow and watched the remainder of his troopers dig a couple of trenches. President Polk was expected any minute and Ulysses did not want any delays. Ulysses mentally winced at the thought.

Examining his tattered clothing, he waited for the president. A tingle of excitement was rising in his chest and all he could feel was victory. Seeing the president, during times of War, was a huge honor.

Shard, one of his soldiers from Texas, tapped his back.

"He's here," he said to his leader, without emotion. "Something top secret. He wants to know if we'll win the War."

"Does he? We don't know yet," Ulysses murmured but he said nothing rude to his president. "I can't tell the future, Shard."

"That's why he wants to talk to you," Shard said.

Ulysses resisted the urge to roll his eyes. "All right, all right. I'm coming. He seriously can't wait, can he?"

Shard said nothing.

President Polk stood outside the small camp. Ulysses' chest tightened at the thought of failure. If I fail, everything goes down with me.

"Mr. President." Ulysses greeted, swallowing the bitter taste in his mouth. "What brings you here, onto the battlefield?"

"Commander Grant, it's good to see you," Polk greeted him warmly. Ulysses wasn't fooled. Something is wrong, he told himself.

"Sir? What is it? Shard told me that you wanted to see who won the War? We don't have that technology here."

A grim smile settled on Polk's lips. "We do have the technology," he said, "and we've created a plan."

Ulysses put his hands up. "We're only using this time machine to see if we win the Mexican War? But what if let's say you send me 1865 and another war has ravaged the country? What happens then? What happens to me? I'm your test subject aren't I?"

"We will send your squadron with you," the president reassured. "That is why, we must see who wins."

"What if we've been pulled into another war? What if we have another War with Britain? Another entanglement? I'm pretty sure no one wants that."

Another rare smile graced the president's lips. "If that happens, the U.S. is by your side."

A chill ran up Ulysses' spine. He said nothing. He just waited for the worst, which in fact, was hurtling right toward them.

Chapter 1

1865, present day

General lieutenant, Ulysses Grant, tried to tell himself it was over.

No it wasn't over. Robert E. Lee was refusing to surrender, he argued with himself.

In frustration, he slammed his fist against the wall.

It was April 7 of 1865 and who knew what would happen next?

The headache in his body had still lasted for hours and he couldn't think straight, so he wasn't entirely happy when a group of rogues found their camp.

Ulysses was tired and he didn't feel like giving two enemies at once. But the rogues were poorly fed and they meant no harm. They just wanted to see the one in charge. They had seen the American flag and knew that these men were allies, they said.

Ulysses waited for the leader of the pack, who was a boy, by the looks of it, to come over to greet him.

The boy was a troubled 24 year old male with combed brown hair and bright green emerald eyes that looked startlingly familiar. His eyes were bright and daring to most, they sparkled with an inner light.