The Civil War: The Glimpse into the Future Deleted Scenes Part 3

William

He was sweating as he gazed across the horizon toward the mountains. He couldn't believe he had actually chosen to do this. He had not only betrayed his home, but he had chosen to fight beside the men that were invading his home, his beloved country.

Old Virginia, he thought to himself. Not anymore. I'm part of the New York Brigade.

As much as the word traitor seared in his mind, he tried to tell himself he was doing this for the best. He was getting rid of slavery and he was not a weak, sniveling coward. He did not fear fighting against his loved ones, he would prove that to his dad.

William had not, when he had gone into the future where the War had lasted five years, had not studied much. He just informed the president that the southern states had rebelled against the country that loved them, fed them, and protected them. William hated himself deeply over that, his father had tried to get him to say something to him about the mission, but William had been too hurt, too anguished to believe his father had fought for the wrong side. It was only till the war broke out did William stay in the federal army. At first he tried to stay out of the war, but when Grant, who was a general at the start of the war, marched across the river, found him in his Lee house, as William called it, the general forced him to come with him, and the next thing William knew he was fighting for a country that was trying to rid itself of slavery; which he now believed was pure evil.

William quickly rose among the ranks of his fellow comrades and quickly became a colonel. He was now, serving under General Hooker at what many of the soldiers called Chancellorsville.

Chancellorsville was a beautiful place, William thought as he sat down to watch the sun set above the clouds. Union soldiers sat, hidden in the shadows, eating and chilling out. William felt a tugging at his heart, and all he could think of was Grant, who was in DC reporting to President Lincoln.

William wanted to be with Grant. He wanted to be in Vicksburg, but Grant had refused, explaining that the battle would be too bloody. It's no different from Gettysburg, William thought to himself.

William stretched and headed back to his tent. He fell asleep shortly afterwards.

William woke, what seemed like minutes, maybe seconds later, to the sound of soldiers shouting, followed by the sound of Dixie. William had never forgotten what the stupid, racist song sounded like because he'd spent his last few years of peace memorizing any rebel song so he could be ready to ambush anyone.

William was aware of someone shaking him. "I'm up, I'm up," he groaned opening his eyes. "What's going on?"

"We're being attacked!" The soldier, now identified as Mark, exclaimed.

William sat up, bringing his boots to his feet. Mark was anxious, worried for the man that had saved his life. William had saved the boy from a burning house, a fire that the rebels had set, and William had saved his life. Now all that Mark was focused on, was getting his revenge.

William grabbed his sword and gun. He went outside. The scene stunned him and angered him. Mark stood behind, his eyes wild, looking at the scene before him.

"Revenge," Mark said, wiping his eyes. "Gone in a flash."

William shook his head. "Mark. Come on, the battle is lost. We have to get out of here."

Mark, for once, did as told only because he was afraid. The screams of the wounded were rising up in William's ears. His heart was thudding.

"Look out!" Mark shreed.

A cannon ball slammed into the dirt right in front of them. William was knocked off his feet, feeling around for the sword which he yanked off his belt. Mark was lying on the ground, blood running from his nose.