Chapter 1

He woke up with a jolt. He had a nightmare. A nightmare of the same day, from 7 years ago.

Yan sighed. He had hoped the nightmares would stop, but it was clear they wouldn't stop anytime soon.

He got up and stretched his sore limbs. The moss in his den had become compressed. At least now he had a reason to go to the marketplace. He got his bag from the ground and put it around his neck. He got out of his den, the curtain of lichens swaying behind him.

He was thinking of what kingdom he could go to when he heard footsteps from behind him, then suddenly he was covered in a thick cloud of purple fog.

He was alarmed, entering his fight-or-flight mode before he heard a familiar voice speak to him.

"Hi, Yan!" The voice said with glee.

Yan sighed. "Hello, Luna." He replied.

The purple fog disappeared, revealing a young fox with thick magenta fur and lilac eyes. The young fox had a huge tail and the tips of her tail were a dark magenta color. The color of her belly was a light purple.

Luna noticed the bag Yan had and she raised a brow.

"Where are you going?" She questioned.

"I'm going to one of the kingdoms to buy some stuff. The moss in my den is compressed, and I could use some more medicinal herbs."

Luna's eyes went wide.

"What?! You can't go into any of the kingdoms! The Shadow patrols are highly active this month! You'll get caught and killed!" She protested.

Yan simply looked at her. He then cleared his throat.

"Did you forget?" He asked Luna.

"Forget what?" She questioned.

Yan didn't respond. He was still staring at Luna when suddenly his fur went from a bright orange with some shades of red to a dark purple with a few shades of magenta.

Luna was startled, her eyes going wide.

Yan just looked at her with a blank expression.

"You forgot, didn't you?" He asked her.

"What? No, I didn't..." She dragged out her sentence. After a few moments, she let out a sigh of defeat. "Yes, I forgot."

Yan rolled his eyes. He knew his friend was forgetful, but he didn't think she was this forgetful.

"Well, here's a reminder for you: my fur can change colors." He reminded his forgetful friend.

"Oh yeah!" She exclaimed. "But you still don't know why it can do that, right?" She asked him.

"I have a few theories, but they're absurd and unrealistic anyway."

She hummed in slight approval.

"Wait!" She suddenly yelled. "You can't go! Even if your fur can change colors, it's still very dangerous! They're eventually going to realize that there isn't a fox with black ear tips in every kingdom. You can't risk being seen." She was lost in thought for a moment. "Let me go and buy what you need." She offered.

"Thanks for the offer, Luna. But I'll be fine by myself."

"Yan, come on! Just let me be a good friend for once!" She protested.

"Luna, you already are a great friend." He was cut off by her.

"How am I a good friend if you never let me help you?" She asked, exasperated.

" You're a good friend because you're not turning me in to the Shadow patrols."

"Oh, come on!" She huffed out angrily. "That's the least that I can do!"