Family Is Forever

Walking all the way to my uncle's was tiring but grateful for exercise. It was dark out by the time I got there. Uncle Bart's right hand man Georgie was washing his precious white car.

"Hi Georgie," I sighed.

"Aw Emma, your mother swept you out again did she?"

I nodded.

"Come on, lucky no whores are here tonight, it's just all of us here."

He walked me inside. Right below me, I saw the person I enjoyed spending time with, even more than the man of the house...Danny. Danny is a man who Uncle Bart trained to be a dog, a literal dog, a collar around his neck when took off, he will hurt you until you bleed in and out; his collar is always on while I'm around. He's very quiet, only says one word responses. He has a childish mentality, he's not retarded, it's the fact that's he's been an attack dog since he was a child, way before I was born. When I started staying the night, Danny was sort of a playmate (not in a sexual manner) for me.

"Emma's here," Georgie said.

"Send her in, always good to see her!"

I walked down the steps to his office, he got up, chuckled, and gave me a hug.

"How's my lovely niece!?"

Uncle Bart wasn't the nicest person but he loves me very much, he always says family is forever.

"Got back from school to Mum getting high, my usual."

"You got me, eh Em? Your uncle who loves you and is there for you when you need em. Sit down, take a load off!"

I sat across from him at his desk.

"So when are ya graduatin' school?"

"At least three to four months from now."

"Huh...college?"

"Hopefully."

"Why do you need college for? You can work with me, help me take care of Danny and this place when I go."

"I wanna study psychology."

"Psychology?" He asked chuckling.

At that moment, Lefty, the left hand man, I guess, walked in.

"Did ya hear that Lefty, Emma wants to study crazy people, psychology?"

"I think it's fascinating myself."

Lefty gave me a fist bump as a greeting.

"Psychology isn't about crazy people, it's the study of the brain, how it works, neurotransmitters."

"The fuck are neurotransmitters?" Uncle Bart asked.

"Chemicals in the brain, it can release feelings of stress, happiness, and even horniness."

"Been having a lot of stress neurotransmitters, that's for sure."

"Me too Uncle Bart."

"Now what's got you stressed?"

"Well...I'm almost 18."

"Yeah, and I'm 62, what of it?"

"You've been paying for my schooling since Dad died, Mum can never afford it after getting fired from her nursing job."

"Nurses don't make enough neither. Listen, I would suggest you stick with me, you work with me, you won't have to worry about nothing else."

"But I want to go to college-"

"And get some stupid degree, then go for it, it was just a fucking suggestion!"

"Are you going to stop paying after I'm 18?"