III

"Since you refuse to act like an adult now I'll let you know that I have arranged a meeting with the fighters..at 3 this afternoon" Father's voice woke me up

I groaned loud enough so that the whole castle can hear and understand my feelings
Father's voice is the last thing I wanted to hear first thing in the morning

How foolish was I? to think that he would concern himself with picking a normal person for me to marry
I knew that this was the inevitable fate of Princesses and somehow had hope that I would escape it

But this.....

This is so much worse
How can my own father think that I am fit to be with a man who enjoy killing people for money,a man with no faith.

A shiver ran over my body
There's no guarantee of what he might do to me,he might even...hurt me
And there would be no one...

No one to help
There is truly no one that cares about my future.

A familiar anxiety resurfaced in my chest as I heard the rushed footsteps.The doors to my room opened and several maids rushed with clothes and accessories.I closed my eyes waiting for it to be over as soon as possible.

**************************************

Inaya was escorted to the throne room surrounded by maids like a prisoner
They held her gown and hand,half expecting her to sprint away as soon as she get the chance.She rolled her eyes
Her head rotated to look at the door
"Can I?" She thought calculating the distance.

The doors opened and her eyes quickly scanned the area.
The council was already situated in a circular position all around the room their attention turned to her..the placement always disturbed her deeply...their eyes watching her from all the directions.

"Dear" the king acknowledged his daughter,smiling at her.He stood up from his chair and the council followed one by one.
Inaya could not help but scoff at their hypocrisy,the little respect she had in her heart for them,as the government and ruler of Qalb was long gone.

"I can walk" she turned her head towards the ladies giving them an icy glare,this was enough to make their hesitant eyes lower and let go of her hand to back away.
She held her dress and walked towards the two throne,one was reserved for the King and the other for the Queen.
The queen passed away long ago so it was always empty and tarnished but today it was polised to look anew.

She noticed it and signed walking up to the throne she spread her silver laced gown and got seated not sparing one glance to her father.
The council gave hesitant looks to each other seeing her attitude.
King Azam lowered himself to sit

From her peripheral view she saw his legs stumble,instinctively her hand reached out to help her father
"Father!" She stood up abruptly

"I am..I am alright" he laughed tapping her hand gently.
She now noticed him after so many days,his back arched in a way that looked painful...his face pale and more wrinkled than before.
She could tell that something was bothering him,her eyebrows furrowed as she inspected his demeanor

"Be careful" she signed as she let go and sat down with him.

She closed her eyes feeling guilt creep up her heart,she hated that even after all the wrongs he did she still could not hate him completely.

"I have arranged this meeting for my daughter to be acquainted with the fighters" The king announced to the council to which they responded by clapping.

"Let them in" he ordered
She turned her head to the door not sure how to feel at this moment

'Fighters' she breathed feebly
The memories of the 2nd Foehtan still fresh as they resurfaced in her mind.
She held the handrest tightly...her heart beated in her ears disabling her until she couldn't think of any positive outcome of this predicament.