chapter 1

It was a cold Monday morning in Chicago and I woke up to make breakfast for my little sister. Today was the first official day at out new house which was small but it was big enough for the two of us . I suddenly heard yelling next door, concerned I step outside to see what all of the noise was and it was coming from the house next door. I smile, "Lilith let's go introduce ourselves to our new neighbors." Lilith jumps on my back for a piggyback ride as we make our way to our neighbors front door. I give the door a knock and a kid around my age opens it. He had red hair and was wearing a plaid shirt and jeans, "May I help you?" He asks, "Hi my name's Y/N and this is my sister Lilith we just moved in next door." The boy smiled gesturing for us to come in. We walked in and entered to a very crowded household, "Hey everybody this is our new neighbors Y/N and her little sister Lilith. " He shouted. The house went silent and everyone looked at us, "Oh I forgot to introduce myself, my name's Ian and these are my siblings, Fiona, Debbie, Carl, Lip, and Liam Gallagher." His oldest sister Fiona walked over to us with a smile, "It's very nice to meet you two. Come sit." As I went to sit down Lilith was stood still, "Don't be shy kid we won't bite well except maybe Carl." Ian took her hand and sat her down in between the both of us. As everyone was sat down Fiona spoke, "So what's your story, what brings you guys to the south side." Lilith frowned, "M-mommy and daddy left us." She stuttered and began to tear up. I held her hand and continued, "Our parents befriended some pretty bad gangs in our town and abandoned us a few months ago and since I'm 18 years old I'm Lilith's official guardian. As long as I can keep a steady job I will be able to adopt her." I smiled and kissed Lilith on her forehead. Everyone looked at each other with empathetic looks, "I'm so sorry to hear that. Our parents abandoned us as well and Fiona has been taking care of all of us." Ian explained. Lip looked at his watch, "Oh shit I'm gonna be late to class I'll see you guys later." Everyone began to rush except Ian, "Okay guys don't wanna be late for school. It was nice meeting you guys." Fiona rushed to get the kids ready and ran out. Lilith and I sat amazed as to how fast the room cleared out. Ian looked at me and held my hand, "You're eyes are so beautiful." I blushed, "Thank you that's very sweet of you." He chuckled, "I was thinking maybe you would like to go out for coffee sometime." I grinned, "I would love that." I got up from my chair, "I guess I should get this one ready for school and start looking for jobs. Thank you for being so kind with us." Before we left Ian stopped me and gave me a gentle kiss on the cheek, "I'll see ya around beautiful." He smirked and we headed back home. Lilith giggled, "Ian and Y/N sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" Ian chuckled as he could hear Lilith chanting, "Very funny now go get ready." I looked at Ian one more time and smiled before heading inside.

Once Lilith got ready I packed her lunch and got her book bag. As soon as the honk of the school bus rang through the house she ran down the stairs and was off. After that I decided to walk to the local convenience store called Kash and Grab to look for a job. Thankfully they had a help wanted sign on their door, "Hi, I saw you guys were hiring and I wanted to pick up an application." Before the cashier could speak his eyes immediately filled with fear as he looked behind me, "Oh god not again." He spoke in a low tone. Concerned I turned around to see three rough looking guys standing behind me in raggedy clothes while covered in tattoos, "So you have my money four eyes? Or am I gonna have to break both of your fucking knee caps?" One of them spoke while holding their fists to the cashier. I noticed he had letters written on his fingers spelling "FUCK U-UP" the terrified employee began to panic as the guy grabbed him by his collar, "P-please Mickey I need that m-money to f-feed my family." I chuckled at the guy's' name, "Something funny?" Mickey turned his head glaring at me, "Well yeah aren't you supposed to be at Disney right now Mickey Mouse." I snickered. I've dealt with people like this guy before so I wasn't afraid of him. He let go of the cashier and I immediately ducked as he tried to take a swing at me. I quickly kneed him in the crotch as he shouted, "Ah!!! YOU BITCH!" I bent down to him and stared at him, "Get out before I make your inability to have children permanent." He got and looked at both the cashier and I said, "This isn't over." Before walking out of the store, "So about that application..." As the cashier started rustling through some papers a woman's voice chimes in, "You're hired." I turned to the direction of the voice and the cashier points to the security cameras, "Anyone that can fearlessly stand up to a Milkovich is a winner in my book. You start tomorrow at 9am as a cashier with Kyle." I smiled at the dorky teen, "I guess we're officially coworkers now." Kyle awkwardly shakes my hand and nods. I immediately ran home shouting with pride and joy, "I thought I heard you out here." I looked and saw Ian sitting on the steps of his house smoking a joint, "Well I just got a job at the Kash and Grab down the street in the crazy situation. Do you know what a Milkovich is and why everyone is so afraid of them?" Ian looked at me with worry and got up gently grabbing my shoulders, "Y/N listen to me the Milkovich family are terrible people please stay away from them I don't want you to get hurt." Understandingly I nodded and suddenly he gently kissed my lips leaving me to blush, "I gotta get to work but I'll see ya later." And with that he left, "This Milkovich family is not going to get away with terrorizing this neighborhood." I thought to myself.