000

000 // prologue

000 // prologue.

when cupid met jake shim.

Cupid had always been fascinated with the concept of Love. Working along the almighty Fate, she'd dedicated eons of her life, shooting arrows upon arrows filled with affection, adoration, lust, love, you name it. She was Fate's weapon of Love, and Fate was her guiding light, telling her when and where to work her magic.

        Then why was it that she was frustrated?

        She paces back and forth in her quarters on the clouds, stirring up wind with every stride she took forward. Her irritation grows, and she decides–this is it. Hurrying, she lifts her bow from its handle on the walls and heads toward Fate's castle in the sky. She was sick and exhausted, convinced that true love did not exist, that love–the concept of it was flawed.

        If love did exist, it would not require her intervention, right?

        She storms her way to Fate's throne, placing her bow at Fate's feet, rose-colored eyes glaring into Fate's contrasting golden ones. The beloved one almost looks amused, confused why Cupid is suddenly upset. She gazes down at the girl, dark hair falling over her shoulders, eyes boring into those of Cupid.

        "What's wrong, Love?" Her voice is mighty to all but Cupid. For her, it is but a whisper. Fate's soft voice that calmed her nerves any day–the voice that had guided her throughout her years as a matchmaker, never scared her. But here she is, glaring at her, mustering her bravest expression.

        "I am tired of this, Fate," Cupid explains. Her gaze softens, voice a trembling whisper. "I do not believe in love anymore." Her short hair sways gently with the wind, bangs swishing in and out of her view. Fate, unalarmed, stands up from her throne, slowly making her way to her disciple.

        "I understand," A short silence, "But I cannot just allow you to leave, Love." Cupid lifts her gaze with her eyebrows furrowed slightly in confusion. Fate's gaze is beautiful as always, with black hair, golden eyes, and freckles dotting her cheeks. She was beauty in itself. She waits for Fate to continue, lips pressing into a thin line in adamance.

        "Let us strike a deal, Young One."

♡⃕➹

Waiting for the bus at the bus stop early in the morning was tiring. As Jake waits patiently, sitting on a shaded bench, he leans his head against the frames of the bus stop ever so slightly. He'd woken up early that morning, at the ungodly hour of 4 am, heading to school roughly an hour later. He needed to finish an assignment for his history class but had left his textbook behind in the classroom.

        He sighs, eyes drooping with every second that passes. The bus would arrive sharply at 5:15 and drive him to school, allowing him to finish his assignment before school, which started at 7. His cacao bangs fall over his eyelids, fists tucked in his uniform blazer's pockets, the early morning mist enveloping the area. They snap open when he hears the huffing of a bus's engine, sleepily looking out at the headlights that make their way toward him.

        The bus is here.

        "Good morning, Jake. You're early today," The bus driver, Mr. Jung, greets with a wide smile. Jake musters his kindest not-dead-tired smile in return, wishing the driver back, explaining how he has some work to finish at school. The older man simply nods, an everlasting smile still etched on his features as Jake heads to the back of the vehicle. It's empty, with only one other seat occupied by a teenage girl.

        Tired, he doesn't pay much attention to her pastel-pink dress, her caramel skin, or her straightened short strawberry blonde hair. He simply takes the seat a few rows down from her, pulling his phone out in hopes of its brightness keeping him awake.

        The engine splutters but before the bus can start, yelling from a few yards down interrupts the driver.

        "Wait! I need a ride! Please, JHope-nim!!" It's the voice of a young girl, one that Jake would recognize anywhere. Almost immediately he fixes his posture, shifting his gaze out the window, trying his best to act disinterested. Subtly, he watches the girl rush up to the entrance of the bus, panting as she apologizes to the driver for being late. He chuckles a little,

        "Is everyone going to school early today?" He questions, The girl tilts her head in confusion. Jake lets his gaze wander, willing himself to look away a few seconds in. She could easily reach his shoulder, with shoulder-length dark-brown hair and neatly trimmed curtain bangs. She turns to face the rest of the vehicle, her smile dropping when she spots Jake. He turns his head away, focusing his attention back on his phone.

        He hears her take a seat, looking up to catch a glimpse of her sitting towards the front. Far from Jake.

        Behind him, a pair of rose-colored eyes flit in direction of the two.

        She rolls her eyes.

( !! )// COMING NEXT
chapter 001: it's a small town after all.