Chapter 3.

"Everyone meet, Alexa." Mr. Santiago introduced us to her. "She'll be here for the rest of the year."

"Please call me Lexi for short." she took a seat. It was a seat next to Rio.

"Do you think she's nice?" Heaven asked me.

"No," I shook my head. "She looks like she creates a lot of drama. And we don't need that." She made quick friends with Rio.

*TIMESKIP TO LUNCH*

"Alright, are you ready, Xavier?" I asked with my script out on the table.

"Yeah, I'm ready." He put his script out on the table as well. "Where do you want to start?"

"Let's start at the end of page 33." We both skipped to that page.

"Who's there? I know someone's there." Playing as Belle is so fun.

"The master of this castle." Xavier sounded a little like the beast.

"Then you're the one who's responsible for this! Release my father at once!"

"I am the master of the castle! I do not take orders from anyone. Throw her out!"

Rio stared at both of us. I could tell he was jealous. Xavier is his best friend. So telling him to leave me alone wasn't a good decision.

"Xavier, come over here." Rio called him. I don't know what he said to him.

Xavier came back to practice lines. "He asked if he can play beast in the musical. I said no."

Thank goodness. "Good. He's a pain in the ass sometimes."

"Yeah," Xavier agreed. "Especially playing basketball. Always pushing someone out of the way."

We both laughed. For some reason talking to him seems so easy but it's still awkward at times.

We continued practicing until the bell rang. Lexi came up to us. "Hey, Xavier."

"Hi." Xavier kept walking me to class.

"Have you finished Mr. Santiago's work?" She asked all flirty. She wants him I'm guessing.

"I have Mrs. Jolie the Italian teacher." Xavier told her. I know that face, I do it to Rio every day. He doesn't want her I can tell. I'm sure she can too. 

"Oh, okay. Bye!" She left disappointed. I would too if the guy I liked didn't like me back. I felt bad for her. It's not his fault though.

We came into class and I decided to sit in the front with Xavier. I mean, why not, right? We both sang the song that we were going to sing for the concert in a month. And we're kind of friends now. Mrs. Ines wasn't feeling well so we did our own thing. I can't wait for it. Heaven got a solo. I'm so proud of her.

"Hey, Māori," Daisy came over with Scarlett. "Whatcha doing?"

"Nothing much, just practicing for the concert with Xavier," I replied with a smile.

He waved to them. "I'm going to get water from my locker water. Be right back." As he got up from his seat he taped my back. I started getting that weird feeling again. Daisy and Scarlett ran to sit next to me when he left.

"So, do you like him??" Scarlett asked.

"I think she does." Daisy added.

I looked at them with disgust. "What? No. We're just practicing together."

They looked at me with a look that made them think I was lying. "Yeah sure. But I think he likes you." Daisy said this with a mouth full of pretzels.

"He does like you." Scarlett took a pretzel from Daisy.

I flipped the page in denial because I knew he didn't, "His best friend is Rio. My EX."

"They became friends after you guys broke up," Scarlett said. "He can still make a move."

"Right." Daisy said.

"I still don't want him." I said.

"Not yet," Daisy giggled with Scarlett.

"Hey!" Xavier came back. "What did you guys talk about?"

"Oh, just about the musical." I lied. I need to get out of here and fast.  

*BELL RINGS*

"It's time to go now!" I said packing all my stuff. I love you, universe!

He looked sad. Like he wanted to be here longer. "I'll see you after school today." Xavier gave me a hug. I don't like hugs. I never did. That was odd.

*AFTER SCHOOL*

I went into the auditorium with Heaven and Dylan. We put our stuff on the chairs and then entered the stage to set everything up.

Xavier walked in with Rio. Rio looked at me with a smile, "Hey, Māori."

"Hi." I answered him. I didn't feel like talking to him. At least not right now. He has been bothering me lately.

Xavier and I went backstage because we weren't in the scene. I went on my phone to watch TikTok. I get really bored so I sat down on the table we use as a bench. Xavier sat next to me. He put his chin on my shoulder. We watched together and we would state our opinions to each other whenever we came across some fine people.

"Belle, Beast! Come out here!" Mrs. Ines wanted to work with us. "I want you guys to try and argue right here."

"Huh?" I was confused. Argue as ourselves or as our characters.

"Argue like you do when you find your father in a dungeon." She added.

So we argued. I could feel the emotion. Xavier and I kept eye contact the whole time. Rio was staring at me the whole time. I was creeped out. He always had a staring problem. Lexi and Rio would like each other.  They'd be a good match. Both toxic and very obnoxiously loud.

"Okay, thank you. SCENE SEVEN AT THE FIREPLACE!" Mrs. Valentine said. She was also one of the directors.

Xavier and I, again, weren't in this scene. So I went to get some water, "I'm getting water, Wanna come with?" I asked Xavier.

He gave a look of surprise. "Yeah sure." He followed me to the fountain.

I have a lot of hair so I put it to the side but it kept falling. Xavier held it for me. "Thank you."

He nodded his head. "You have really pretty hair," he added.

Rio was there standing.