Prologue

The irises of his eyes were narrow and vertical. He was small, after all, he was still a kitten. His tail and mouth tampered and his fur was entirely black. Upon the kitchen counter, he gazes out the window and into the drab alleyway. He was the monarch of the alleyway, the trash and litter were his treasures, the small box he sat in was his throne, and the little apartment he resided in was his domain.

His blue eyes glowed upon the sight of his owner. He meowed, his soft voice coming out as an adorable mewl. He pawed at the window, excitement taking over him.

Walking through the inner city, (Y/N) walked along the cracked sidewalk. The buildings were tightly together with graffiti painted over its discolored, chipping white paint. She passed by other people who lived in poor neighborhoods: an old lady dragging her walker in front of her, a middle-aged man reading a newspaper in a sweaty white tank top, and a trio of kids splashing water that flowed from a nearby fire hydrant. Nonetheless, (Y/N) smiled. This was her home. Finally! After a long overnight shift, she was able to rest her poor feet!

The kitten slides his head through the window and feels the morning air on his face. He meows, making his owner's head perk up.

From the second-story building, (Y/N) sees her cat leaning over. "Gojo, don't you dare move!" The kitten was named after an anime character with the same remarkable blue eyes.

The kitten doesn't listen. He happily jumps out of the window and lands in (Y/N)'s arms. The girl sighs, yet couldn't help but smile at the cat's content purs.

"What am I gonna do with you, huh?" (Y/N) combed through his fur, eliciting an ever louder purr from the tiny pet.

Slipping into her dingy apartment complex, (Y/N) climbed the narrow stairs. Her apartment was home to the lowest of the low in the social class. Poor families, struggling college kids, and tired old people resided here. They all got by with what they had and no matter how much they tried, it was never enough. (Y/N) had taken to working in a local diner. She wore a stained blue dress with a white collar, short sleeves, and a white apron tied around her waist. It was a job that paid only $14 dollars an hour, the standard of minimum wage in her hometown. But at times, what was worse is that some people didn't even bother to tip her -- A bunch of cheap stakes pricks was what she liked to call them.

Unlocking her apartment door, (Y/N) is greeted with the morning light filtering through her small window. The apartment was only able to fit a makeshift kitchen, washier, and drawer. This left (Y/N) having to place her bed right into her closet, with her clothes still in her beat-up suitcase and her mattress only having a rough handstitched quilt.

Gojo leaps out of (Y/N)'s arms and trails to his bowl, a cereal bowl since (Y/N) could barely even afford two dishes. The young woman trails into the kitchen and fetches a bag of cat food from beneath her sink. She grabs the bowl and digs her arm into the ripped bag, trying to scoop up whatever food was left. But there was nothing.

(Y/N)'s face falls. She had forgotten that Gojo had run out of food. With another sigh, (Y/N) gets up and trails to a nearby air vent. She pries open the metal grille and fishes out a large, pink piggy bank. She unseals the plastic container only to find all the cash completely gone.

(Y/N)'s heart thudded in her chest, her hands shook and her vision was disfigured with her tears. What the hell happened to all her rent money!? She looks back into the piggy bank, unwilling to believe all her money was completely gone. She shakes and before she knew it, she throws the piggy bank at the wall. It thuds onto the ground, its chubby, smiling face taunting her as it stared into her broken soul.

And from her panic, anger soon befell her. She storms to the side of her kitchen and seizes her apartment's landline phone. She jabs the phone number in and waits until the phone rings from the other side.