271-280

271 High Fever

When he woke up early today, the outside was covered with a thin layer of white frost, as if it had snowed. However, it disappeared when the sun was about to rise into the sky.

Nie Yuansheng walked into the house in the middle of the courtyard with a bowl of steaming millet rice covered with freshly stir-fried wild vegetables and cured meat.

"Mother, eat your rice first. I will braise the rest in the pot. At noon, you can eat it after heating it up a little. I'm going up the mountain now."

The old woman lying on the bed propped herself up and said worriedly, "Yuansheng, it's not easy to walk in the mountains these days. Why don't you not go? Don't we still have some millet, mountain products, cured meat, and so on at home? It's enough for us to get through the winter."

"Mother, it's getting cold early this year. It looks like it'll be very cold in winter. We have to prepare enough firewood and food. Otherwise, when the snow seals the mountain, the situation will be difficult."

Nie Yuansheng didn't want to leave his mother alone in the mountains, but winter was coming. He wanted to take advantage of the time to pick as many herbs as possible and hunt for some prey to exchange for money.

His mother had just undergone a major operation, and he had been busy taking care of her, so he had not been able to store enough supplies for the winter. Now, he could only make up for it as soon as possible.

"But..."

The old lady wanted to persuade him again but was interrupted by Nie Yuansheng. "Don't worry, Mother. I won't go deep into the mountains. I'll be back before dark."

After he finished speaking, he turned around and left the house. He took the basket, chopper, and a piece of yellow rice and flour cornbread that he had prepared on his back, and then hurriedly walked out of the house.

However, a few hours later, he regretted not listening to his mother and making the decision to go up the mountain.

"Don't, don't come over!"

Nie Yuansheng used both his hands and feet to move backward. His eyes were staring straight ahead, and his mouth was subconsciously begging for mercy.

His bamboo basket was thrown not far away, and the herbs inside were scattered all over the ground. A huge furry paw stepped on his chopper, and then slowly approached him.

It was a huge white-fronted tiger. Its brown eyes were full of cold and brutal killing intent. Nie Yuansheng seemed to be able to smell the stinky hot air from its mouth, which represented the smell of death.

Who would've thought that the cold of winter would cause the tiger, which usually appeared during the day and at night, to appear in the day earlier than expected?

In such a deep mountain, even if he cried for help, no one would be able to hear him and arrive in time. It seemed that he would die in the tiger's mouth today.

It was a pity that his mother had to endure the torture of the illness, but she was still unable to move. After his death, he did not know how she would live in the future.

When Nie Yuansheng saw that the tiger was about to pounce, he could only turn his head and close his eyes tightly, waiting for death to come.

However, the pain he had imagined did not appear. There was only a muffled sound beside him, as if something had hit his feet.

Nie Yuansheng mustered up the courage to open his eyes and coincidentally met the tiger's eyes.

The tiger, who was still cruel and cold just now, was lying at his feet. It opened its bloody mouth and stuck out its tongue, but there was no sound. It was dead.