Chapter 2

Dr. Cruz arrived at 9:00 am. We had our breakfast at 6:30 am. My siblings were already gone to school and here we are, My parents and Dr. Cruz in this annexed room connected to my bedroom which is the Medical room. This is a secret room that contains all the medical equipment Dr. Cruz has been using to treat and test me.

Now, I am currently lying in the bed while my mother is holding my hand. We were watching the father talking to Dr. Cruz who is currently preparing the medical tools he needed for the test.

I saw him bring out different sizes of syringe needles and a blue cooling bag. He opened the bag and took out three glass-like tubes which contains liquids with different colors. The first one has the color blue liquid, the second one has red, and the third one has a golden color.

"Is that it?" my father asked.

"Yes. Let us begin." Dr. Cruz answered and then went to me holding a syringe.

"Please stay still Scarlet. I will take some blood from you."

I lay down comfortably and waited for the doctor. I covered my eyes with my left hand removing from my mother's hold. I'm afraid of the needle. So every time Dr. Cruz room blood from me I always cover my eyes.

I felt the tourniquet wrapped around my arm, then so I curled up my wrist waiting for the needle to pierce my skin.

"Relax baby." I've heard my mother say. So I relaxed my arm and breathed out.

I bit my lip when I felt the needle.

"Ahh!" I exclaimed. 'It's always painful.' A tear escaped my eye. The pain is never-ending. I felt someone wipe my tears. I guess it is my mother.

"It's done."

I removed my hand and opened my eyes to look for my mother. She helps me sit up and hugs me.

Father helps Dr. Cruz when he went to their table. I saw him put some blood on three testing kits. I watched him drop the tester to each.

"Now, let's wait." Dr. Cruz said.

'God please make it work.' I silently paid.

1 minute...

2...

5...

15 minutes ...

We've been waiting for the result, but still, there's no reaction.

I saw Dr. Cruz caressing his hair. He looked disappointed.

"What's happening? Nothing is happening. It's 15 minutes already." I heard him say. "There should be a reaction," he added.

My father stood up, walked near the window, and stared at the dark curtain.

I felt my mother rubbing my back as I curled up and hugged my knees. I'm losing hope.

"What if-" Father says, turning around and looking at me. "Baby I know it will be painful to you but we may try," he said.

Dr. Cruz stared at my father. "What do you suggest?" he asked.

Father stared at me for a while with different emotions visible on his handsome face.

Then later, look back at the curtain. Watching my father's behavior, I feel confused.

Dr. Cruz suddenly stands up with an excited look visible on his face.
"I think I got what you wanted to do," he told father.

Starting at them, looking at each other, then looking at the curtain. I guess, I also understand what my father wanted to do. Determined to try, "Let's do it, father."

"Are you sure you can handle it?" My father asked. I nodded.

"Yes, I am."  I answered.

"Very well then. Let us proceed!" Dr. Cruz excitedly exclaimed.

I readied myself.

'You can do it, Scarlet. You're brave.' I heave a sigh. Then later stand up. Ready to go near my father. I looked at him. He gave me a measuring smile.

"On the count of three," he said.
I started walking. Standing beside my father, I felt his arms wrapped around my shoulder. Ready to support me.

"One," he counted. I closed my eyes. Preparing myself.
"Two"
I wrapped turn to my father and hugged him tightly without openings my eyes.

"Three."

"Aghck!" here it is. I felt the sharp like piercing of thousand needles in my body. Like I was burning in hell. I heard my mother's sob.

I hugged my father so tight. Battling the pain the sunlight is giving me. It was so painful. 'Why? Why does it have to be me?' I silently cursed. Cursing my helpless condition. I can't help but remember my past. The painful past caused by this curse.

When I was 9 years old. I never understand why my parents have to cage me in this mansion. Never allowing me to go out in the daytime. I thought they hated me. I wanted to play with other kids outside. With m siblings. I wanted to see the sun, to see the flowers blooming beneath the sunlight. But they never allowed me. They locked me in my room. I was like a prisoner. Preventing me to escape and go outside.

1 day, I saw an opportunity when a new maid was sent to give me food. She forgot to lock the door. So I ran out directly to the front door.

Until I saw the sunlight, many ran after me to catch me. It was so near, I can now see the light. Then, one step outside the door. That was the first time I felt this excruciating pain. The first time I found out about this curse.

There, I understand my parents. Why do they have to lock me in the dark room. Where candle and bulb is the only source of light for me to see my surrounding. They were only protecting me from this pain.

I can no longer handle the pain. I breathed sharply. It's killing me.
It is just seconds but it is this painful already. What more if I stayed longer in the sunlight?

"Marcos! Come take her! Close the curtain immediately! Marcos!" I've heard my mother is getting hysterical already.

I wanted to tell her that it was alright. But I no longer have the strength to speak. I opened my eyes when I no longer felt the sunlight. The pain is still there. Burning me.

I saw my father's pained face. He was looking at him carrying me to the bed. I tried to smile.

"Don't smile." I heard him say in a raspy voice.

'Aha! He's mad.' I joked to myself. Trying to forget the pain.

He carefully lay me in the bed. Dr. Cruz quickly proceeded and again took my blood. I can no longer feel the syringe because I am still numb with the burning pain in my body.

My mother started to caress my hair, then started humming to comfort me. I wanted to cry but I'm holding it. I wanted to show them I was strong. That they do not have to worry. Then the pain will last. I just need to endure it for a few hours.

I wanted to wait for the result. But my mother's hum is too comforting. My consciousness is slowly fading. Hearing my mother's hum getting weaker, and weaker...