0 | Then the Darkness Told its Secret

Portland, Oregon, 1975

Beatings, stoning, back talking, disobedience, knife pulling, theft.

All caused by little boys of Portland. A string of incidents that became way too long. Too many months. Too many reports. Too many warnings.

Their horrible, terrifying behavior couldn't possibly be excused.

It caused a prevailing sense of unease, fear, frustration, and bitterness to set over the city.

The young boys were never good enough. Too reckless. Too rude. Too violent. No manners. Not caring enough. Not manly enough.

Mothers failed to raise their little boys the right way and even throwing them to the church didn't help. No matter the amount of scolding and talks they'd get, they would still make the same "mistake" each time. They never knew what to do with their children when they came to be too much for them. And disowning or kicking them out would still be too much trouble for them.

The Home for Unruly Boys was established in 1956 by Benjamin and his beloved wife, Faith Erring, to help troubled parents and their little boys. The women of the Home would provide care for the children and the men would be responsible for teaching the kids.

It was everything the mothers wanted.

The women assured them that the children would be raised nicely and disciplined properly in their care.

Mothers happily gave away their kids, pleased to be free from the burden. But not all were so trusting.

No one knew what the children were being taught nor had they seen who was teaching them. They were greatly suspicious of the women as they all looked like witches with their sharp stares and black dresses and appeared to be hiding things from the people with their vague answers and avoidance of certain topics.

But every time, they accepted the children with warm welcomes and gentle greetings. They were adored by many no matter how strange they appeared.

No matter how many and how close the rumors hovered over them. Like vultures.

Behind rusty gates and old brick walls, the Home is constantly buzzing with uncontrollable energy and mischief. Little boys ran about in the front yard, grass stains clinging to their knees, laughing, yelling, and screaming so loud the birds fled from their trees. The women observe the boys intently with narrowed eyes. Troublesome boys are unpredictable and sneaky little liars. Especially the one that smuggles a black cat through the gates called "Janie."

Paisley Belanger, a prickly blonde woman, carried a laundry basket and scowled as she eyed one of the kids getting closer to a muddy patch.

"Louis, Louis!" she shouted to the unaware boy. "Louis, watch your step! Louis!"

He halted, noticing the mud perilously close to the front of his shoes.

"Thank you, Miss Pai!" He beamed at her, but all she could do was keep walking and glower.

"Miss Belanger to you!" She didn't want to do the laundry for the month again.

Paisley had long worked for Benjamin and Faith Erring. She used to work as their maid until she was tricked into becoming one of the ladies of the Home. She wished she could've chosen a different job. For the past few years, doing laundry, watching the kids play, and meal preparation have always been the only things she's useful for. Even so, she's never been appreciated for her work.