Secrets and Lies

CUTE GIF ON THE SIDE FOR MY LOVELY READERS <333 

Secret and Lies

-Prologue-

*Lorraine’s POV*

My mom and I stood up when a guy in a formal suit walked inside the conference room. “This is Josh Littlewoods, your future husband for the sake of both our companies.”  My mother introduced me to the brown-haired boy with grey eyes that seemed to be older than me for about 3 years. He had perfectly tanned skin that perfected his face. He was really handsome and he was fit, but clearly, he was not my type.

I smiled nicely, the best that I could and reached for his hand to shake. His hand was really soft, but I wouldn’t like to hold it all day. It was plain, like any other handshake.

“Hi, I’m Lorraine.” I introduced myself. He smiled back and motioned me to take a seat.

“So I’ve heard.” He grinned as he, too, took a seat. “So Gen, when is this wedding going to take place?” he asked.

“As soon as possible.” She answered while she fixed herself on the seat.

“Don’t you think that we should get to know each other first? We’re going to be… uhm… married and how will I be a good wife if I don’t even know his favourite colour yet? Or what his favourite food is.” I reasoned because I don’t want to get married yet. I mean, I’m only 19.

“Good point, hun. But you don’t need that. I’m pretty sure you’re going to have maids and butlers and servants and personal chefs, you name it. No need to practice anything, hun. Everything’s planned.” She said slightly stern, meaning- she wants me to shut up and just agree on whatever she says. I mentally glared at my mom who cares about nothing but her business or she calls it… her ‘life’.

I peeked at Josh at the corner of my eyes, and he seems to not listen to my mom and I’s conversation. He was busy typing at his phone, his eyebrows scrunched together and he looks like he was deciding on something very hard.

“So I was thinking…” My mom started, taking Josh’s attention. “Maybe the wedding could be on the first week of August. After Lorraine’s birthday. That’d be… in 6 months? If that’s fine.”

“Okay then. So I’ll leave the planning to you then, Genevieve.” He smiled and nodded at me and mom so I just did the same.

“Great! We should head off now, yeah?” My mom asked.

“Sure thing. Nice meeting you, Lorraine!” He chirped and sauntered outside the room. I can’t believe it… This guy is going to be my husband in about 6 months and he acts as if it’s no big deal. Of course it’s a big deal! I’m getting married… to a person I’ve just met today, I didn’t even know his age. I hate it. It’s as if I’m an accessory my parents use for their own benefits. I know my mom cares for me, gets worried, teaches me good manners, but hey- it’s all for the media, the image, and their career. I hate it that I felt like they only want me because they needed something from me. Like good advertisements & interviews. I had to act all lovey-dovey with them even though we hardly hug or touch. I also had to act all finesse and very lady-like. I hate it that I can’t even be myself around my own family. It felt good when I did 4 years ago. If I could only turn back time…

My mom and I went to the opposite direction, making our way to the other hallway and into the elevators.

We walked in silence. I looked at my mom’s way every now and then, and found her grinning like a creep.

I’m not okay with this. I don’t like the idea of me marrying someone I don’t love. Marriage is about love and commitment, right? I barely knew the guy! How could I marry him?