eight

~~~~~~~~~~~~

ever since yesterday, kiania had been quieter than she usually was, and her mother knew something had happened.

kiania had woken up, showered, eaten her breakfast, and doodled in her notebook. other than that, the only thing she'd said was her good mornings, and thank yous to her parents. her father, ivan, also knew his daughter was quieter than usual today, but she was a teenager, and he didn't want to push her. if she wanted to talk, she would've.

"kia," her mother walked into the living room, standing in front of her daughter, who was laid on the sofa with her knees up, her notepad resting on her thighs, "what's going on, filha?"

kiania looked up from her notepad, "what do you mean, mamãe?"

"you've been quiet since you got home yesterday. has something happened between you and neymar?" she spoke softly and gently, careful not to pressure her in any way, and she sat beside her on the sofa, resting a hand on her knee.

"hm," kiania cleared her throat, "nothing really, mamãe. i think he's upset about something, he might need some time, i don't know."

"didn't he talk to you about it?"

"no," she shook her head, "something's been up with him lately, but i don't know what."

"talk to him, go over." carolina nudged her daughter's knee. she hated to see the pair get into arguments, or some sort of feud, especially since it didn't happen often, "it's your birthday in a few days, kia. you can't not be talking on your birthday."

kiania opened to her mouth to respond, but shut it, looking up from her doodles. her mother was right. she couldn't just leave neymar to his thoughts, especially when she didn't know what was wrong, or what she could do to help. the worse thing is that she thought it had something to do with her, and she didn't want to leave whatever was going on with him unresolved thinking that.

"okay, i will." she nodded, closing her notepad and standing from the couch, "do you mind if i go now? or do you want me to stay for a bit?"

"no, go, go." carolina used her hands to usher her away, "don't pressure him though, kiania."

"i won't."

---

she walked inside the house, immediately spotting rafaella and nadine in the living room, both flicking through a magazine. noticing her arrival, rafaella shot up from the couch, jogging straight up to kia and wrapping her arms around her torso.

"hi, kia." rafaella grinned, pulling her head back and looking up at her.

"hi, rafa," kiania grinned back at her, before looking up at nadine, "hi, nadine, how are you?"

"i'm good, what about you, kia?"

"i'm good." she smiled, before rafaella pulled back from her and walking back over to her mother, sitting back on the couch, "is neymar out?" 

"he had been, he's just got back, he's in his bedroom." nadine responded, gesturing up the stairs, "sr's at a meeting."

"okay, thank you. i'll come back down soon, we can go do something if you want to?" kiania asked, to which the mother and daughter across from her smiled and nodded their heads in response.

jogging up the stairs, she made her way to neymar's bedroom. of course, his door was shut, but she could see some light shining through under the door, so she knew he wasn't asleep. she balled her hand into a fist and knocked on the door, a muffled 'come in' on the other side.