one; bestfriend

I was relaxing in my pool, alone, since my parents, younger brother, and little sister had been gone all day for my brother's tee ball games. I was floating around in silence, when I got drenched, as I flipped over in my pool tube.

"Whoever did this-" I stopped when I saw him standing right in front of me, with a goofy smile planted on his face.

"Shawn?!" I ran up and hugged my best friend of 16 (almost 17) years. "Is it really you?"

"Yes, Ken-Ken, it's really me." I hug him once more before letting him go.

"Not trying to sound mean, but why are you here? How are you here? What about tour?"

"Well yesterday was just the show in Philly, and I don't perform again until July 10th. So I have almost a whole month off the tour. And who says I can't come visit my best friend?"

"No one. But you know, you could of told me you were coming instead of scaring the life out of me."

"Yeah, but this way was more fun."

"For you, not really me. And what about your parents and Aaliyah?"

"Wait, isn't that house over there for sale?" He points to my old neighbors' house.

"Yeah I think so," I say confused.

"Wrong! It was just sold today to the Mendes'."

It took me a few seconds to realize it, "Shawn are you serious!?"

"Yep. Neighbors once again, Kennedy."

"Oh my gosh, this is the best day ever," I hug him again.

-

"Another point for teammm Mendesss! One more point to win the game!" Shawn says in an announcer voice.

I get the ball but Shawn steals it from me (again) and makes another basket. He screams, running around in victory, "Team Mendes remains undefeated!"

"No! It's not fair you're too tall."

"Same excuse for all these years: 'You're too tall.' I'll just remind you that maybe, just maybe, you're too small."

"Shawn, I'm only like 7 inches shorter than you," once I said that, I realized it did make me sound short.

"Kennedy, I'm only like 7 inches taller than you, which is a lot."

"I'm average height while you're way over average! So that means you're too tall."

"Yeah, but to me, you're too small," he puts his elbow on my shoulder and looks down on me.

"Whatever. Can we get some food now?"

"Sure."

We head inside and I start searching the fridge for something. Nothing. I go to the pantry and find some Ritz crackers. I grab them and two paper plates, then sit at the table to eat some crackers. Shawn joins me at the table with two glasses of water. We sit there, eating crackers, and talking about what we've been doing lately. I saw a light flicker outside the window. And another. Fireflies! When Shawn and I were younger, we'd always catch fireflies.

"Shawn! Come on!" I ran outside, excited to see all of the tiny lights around the yard.

"Woah."

"I know. Woah," we watched them for a bit and then I said, "I'll grab the jar."

I ran back inside and grabbed the jar we've been using for so long - just for catching fireflies. When I got back outside, I saw Shawn was already catching them.