Chapter 3

Not my best chapter, but pls read and leave comments! Feedback is always appreciated.

Kendall hadn't been Jade's friend right from the start. They were just two strangers that were trying out for the same volleyball team in the fifth grade. Then, fate stepped in and brought the two together. Kendall had been jumping up to spike a ball and Jade had been sliding forward to dig up another one. As luck would have it, Kendall came down hard on top of Jade and unfortunately had to sit a few months out with a sprained ankle. Jade was extrememly apologetic, but Kendall was really mad. She was very sporty and competitive, and her pride was probably hurt more than her ankle. During school, she would always walk away from and ignore poor Jade who had no idea what to do. It really
hurt that all this girl did was hold a grudge against her for her own clumsy mistake. It was over and done, in the past. They just moved on and never really acknowledged each other. Then things grew worse. When Kendall's ankle healed, her and Jade proved to be the two strongest and most skilled players on the team. There was always an unspoken competition between them, and they were no longer strangers. They were full-out rivals. Then one day Kendall and Jade were, as expected, competing, and it turned into a screaming match. They were both sent to a private room to "talk it out," and it was there their friendship began. Jade discovered that Kendall was actually very insecure of herself, and that she was nasty to Jade because she was jealous of her. Kendall in turn learned how much she had hurt Jade, and they both finally put their pride away and apologized.

Sitting in the car and staring at the school, Jade wished she had tried to talk to Kendall sooner. If she had known their time together would've been cut short so soon, she would've done so many things differently...as the car rounded the corner, Jade could've sworn she saw a volleyball sitting in the gym window, tormenting and mocking her.