Forget

It wasn't human. None of us really knew what happened.... We just got used to it. No one liked what happened, but it made us stronger. We all lost people in the beginning, and it hit us hard. Losing people now a days is like going on vacation. We leave them, without saying a true goodbye. There's no funerals. There's no priest there to give the same speech every time. There's just... An empty space. The space is filled with all the times that person was strong, or the times when they helped you. You never want to remember how someone died, especially if there close to you. Sometimes you might think you'll see them again, but other times I doubt we even go anywhere after we die. If there was a safe place in the afterlife its too crowded for the people who killed each other. We're already in hell, why go to another one.....

"Carl..." My dad spoke softly. I was standing there, letting it come towards me. I didn't know what to do.
"Carl." He said a little louder. I looked back with glistening eyes. He looked at me, then at was once a beautiful girl with much to live for.
"Carl we need to go."
"Not...not yet."
"Do it. We need to go."
"I can't. Not now."
"Carl! We have to go..."
"I said NOT YET!" I yelled. "She" tripped over a root sticking out of the ground and fell to her knees. I went over to the corpse, blade in hand.
"Eliza?"
It just moaned.
"Liz... I know you're in there. Somewhere. PLEASE...." I cried. "Please don't leave now..."
"CARL! It's not her. Just do it." My dad walked closer.
"No. We're leaving her here."
"What? Do you want her to kill someone? Break someone else's family apart? She would want you to end it."
I held my weapon up to her soft skull. She tried to lean up and sink her teeth in my neck but I held her body down. She couldn't do anything.
I started to push it in. Blood spewed out of the head, onto me.
I stopped once it became motionless. I lied my head on her shoulder, and cried into it.
"Cmon. We need to get back to the others." He wiped the water off his nose I'm couldn't tell if it was sweat or tears.
I whispered something into her ear before I left her there. But that's only for us two to know.
You'll have to figure out that part yourself.
We got ourselves together and left. Driving down the road with the wind blowing in my face I wondered what does happen after death...
But I can't think about that. I need to focus on right now. I need to forget. Forget about her, and everything we did. I need to stop getting attached to people too quickly...
Everyone around me gets hurt. I need to stop caring so much about everyone... They all just leave...
"Dad... Where do you think they go.. When they get bit?"
"Well... I don't know if I can answer that correctly.. Or in the way you want to hear it.."
"What do you think? I know we used to go to church every Sunday... But things changed. So many people died.. Why would anyone want to put us through that?"
"Carl, I,I don't think we're going to heaven, if that's the case. We've all done some pretty bad shit, and even if we would beg for forgiveness nothing could ever repay for what we've done. What people turn into, it's not human, or at least that's what we've been telling ourselves. Maybe there is a cure somewhere, but right now if we want to survive, but not only that, live. Live a long life that we should in the first place, we have to kill and do all this stuff."
"Yea but... Where does everything go? Memory, imagination... Who that person was.. It can't just disappear.."
"Remember at the CDC, when we saw what the brain did?"
"Yes."
"Well it might still be in them somehow, just such a small reminisce of who they were that hunger takes over and all they need is to eat.. But somewhere, somehow, there has to be, them. Someone has to figure it out eventually."
"Ok.. So when someone finds the cure, will just the walkers that are still, "alive" be cured?"
"You know it's impossible to bring someone back from the dead... And everyone who is, dead, or whose dead after being, dead.... Is dead for sure. None of them are coming back. But maybe if someone figures out what actually happened and happens when bit, they can figure out how to reverse it.. "
And that's all I needed. After that it was silent the rest of the drive. We made it bad to the group and left. I'll never forget Eliza, but sometimes I'll try.
She was my first. Not my first everything... But she taught me something I'll never forget.
Again, you'll have to fill in that blank yourself.

The rest of the story plays out as The Walking Dead TV show, and Carl Grimes will always love Eliza Reed😏❤️
Final chapter! Hope you enjoyed. I did writing!❤️ - Leah