Chapter 18

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Do you want a photo?"

"What?"

"I said if you want a photo" Rúben repeats. "You don't seem to be able to stop looking at me."

"I don't want anything from you" Fran says.

"Are you sure? I can let you hold it if you want. It'll probably be the closest you'll ever be to a man of the match trophy."

"What did you just say?"

"What you heard" Rúben shrugs.

"You can keep it" Fran says after taking a deep breath. "Looks like it is the only thing you can keep."

"What are you talking about?"

"It's not about what. It's about who."

"Who?"

"Oh, don't play dumb, Dias. It doesn't suit you. You know I am talking about Mila."

"Keep her name out of your mouth" Rúben hisses.

"Too late for that. And her name isn't the only thing that has been on my mouth" Fran grins.

"You son of a bitch."

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"That was like the most intense game ever" Ella says as she and Mila walk towards the changing rooms area. "Like, every time there was a corner or Betis attacked, I was scared thinking Rúben was going to kill Fran or something."

"Thankfully, nothing happened. Not even after Fran basically scored in front of Rúben's nose."

"Imagine that they start punching each other in the middle of the field" Ella chuckles.

"Please don't say that."

"Sorry."

"Oh, Mila, thank God I found you" one of City staff members says, showing up out nowhere and stopping them.

"Are you ok?" she asks.

"I am, just a bit out of breath after running around, but thank you for asking."

"What happened?"

"It's Rúben. He got into a fight on the tunnel."

"He did what?"

"What you just heard, Mila. He was going back to the changing room after his interviews, crossed paths with that Betis player, and they apparently started arguing and then hit each other."

"Oh my God" Ella gasps.

"Who was the other player? Do you know the name?"

"I can't remember it right now, but it was their striker. The tall one who scored tonight."

"Mila, that's Fran" Ella says, grabbing her arm.

"Yes, that's the one!"

"Where are they now?" Mila asks, her heart racing.

"They both are being checked by their team's doctors, Rúben is on the small room where they do the drugs tests. Could you go there and talk with him, see what happened? He doesn't want to tell anyone."

"Yes, sure. Don't worry" Mila says.

"You are the best. Anyway, gotta go make sure this... Incident doesn't make it to the press. See you later, girls."

"Bye. And thank you."

"Mila..." Ella says once the City staff member is gone.

"I know, Ella. I know."