Chapter Seven

Katie hummed quietly, nervously bouncing her leg behind the counter. Rough fabric scraped against her fingers as she frantically wisted a rag in her hands. The thick smell of coffee wound itself down her throat and she swallowed absently, casting her eyes around the shop.

It wasn't like the gunman- a Caruso, a mobster- was going to come to some coffee shop to chase her down, but still, she found her stomach lurching at every tinny peal of the door's bell. In every blonde's shining locks she saw nothing but violent pink reflections, in every set of curling horns was the sickening click of bullets falling into place, and her nerves were completely fried.

"Girl. Are you sure you should have come to work today?" Lucy called, concern written over all of her features.

"Oh yeah, no! I'm all good!" she forced a wavering smile, gesturing loosely, "It was probably just the beer. I don't drink a lot."

"Alright..." Lucy frowned skeptically, slipping pastries into the display case. Katie stepped to the shelves, absently adjusting bags of coffee and novelty mugs, mind racing helplessly.

The bell rang.

Her heart flipped, body stiffening, and she slowly turned, plastering a calm, welcoming smile across her face.

It was all she could do to not scream. Wow, the world sure had a sense of irony.

A tall man strode into the cafe, sandy curls flying and dark gray horns framing a hard jawline. Katie's smile dropped as she grasped the counter in horror, stomach dropping like a stone.

He turned his head, and the world seemed to slow down. Green was the first thing she noticed, and fear jolted up her spine, but then he blinked, gaze all pure sweetness and warmth she could feel from her spot of safety behind the counter.

Claudius. Her mind supplied, relaxing her desperate grip on the counter. She paused, smile slowly returning as she took in the violently bright Hawaiian shirt framing his shape and fluttering in the gale from his entrance. He smiled, bright and wide and she relaxed, practically kicking herself.

Wow, nice guess, moron. That's the gunman. Sure.

"Aw, I knew it. This wasn't the right outfit," Claudius laughed as he approached the counter, "That's the third shock and horror response today!"

A small giggle slipped through Katie's lips.

"Though I hardly think Pup should count..." he paused, grin shining and infectious, "It's the shirt, right? Too much?"

She laughed, shaking her head to dispel her nerves.

"No, something else," she grinned, stomach churning with the desire to spill her guts to this man she met two days ago. Stupid.

He groaned, sigh full of mirth and took a step back from the counter before tugging on his ankle. "Knew it was the socks."

Painted in fabric across his ankles were hundreds and hundreds of little cartoon smiley faces, and Katie couldn't help it, starting to wheeze at the profoundly hurt expression on his face.

"Wow, wow, alright. I see where you stand on the fun socks. Never again," he sniffed, and she had to balance against the counter to stay upright, glee crashing over her.

"No! I think they're cute!" she argued with a bright smile, and he eyed her suspiciously, green eyes twinkling with humor.

"Riight. Sure."

"Now, if I really didn't like them, I could have you kicked out of the store."

"You and what army?" he teased, leaning against the counter, "I'm here for my coffee, not just anybody could get me to leave."