23: Mama Bear's a Saint

Iridessa Evelyn David:

I woke up with a jolt as the baby monitor cried. I looked around wearily, seeing Fredrico sit up too from where he was laying on his cot. My eyes found AJ, still breathing steadily and relaxing me with a sigh. I expected to see Alejandro sitting in the room too.

He disappeared earlier to talk to Fredrico and I hadn't seen him since.

I ran my fingers through his hair, before glancing at the clock. It was nearly five. Luna must be hungry.

"Go ahead," Fredrico said. "I can check him over while you go take care of her."

I nodded with another sigh, grabbing the baby monitor from where I put it on the table next to me at some point before falling asleep. I kissed AJ's forehead gently before leaving the room, heading up the stairs.

I made a bottle for Luna quickly, shaking it to mix as I walked to her crib, seeing her fussing.

I lifted her in a smooth movement, popping the top of the bottle and sticking the nipple in her mouth. She fussed another few second before realizing it was what she wanted and sucking on it desperately.

Fredrico said she wouldn't act like she was starving every time we fed her eventually. He said she did it because she went from birth to however many hours without eating, and usually newborns fed within the first three hours of being born, even if it was just a little bit.

I swayed her gently as she ate, hoping AJ wouldn't wake up while I was gone and be upset with me.

I decided to walk back downstairs, going to his exam room. He was still passed out, his breathing even. Fredrico was shining a light in his eyes, nodding to himself.

"How is he?" I dared to ask.

"He's fine, Evelyn," he assured, giving me a reassuring smile. I nodded but even with his words I still felt like shit, the lack of sleep not helping my worries. "He is still under the effects of the sedative I gave him, but it should be wearing off soon. I'd estimate around nove." That was another four hours. He must have seen the dread pass my face because he came over to pat my shoulder, smiling at me. "Don't fret," he said. "This was an honest mistake. And the rest will do him some good based on his lack of sleep." I nodded, knowing he was right.

"Thank you, Fredrico. I know children aren't really your forte."

"It's my pleasure to do anything you ask," he said, seeming sincere.

"Why?" I asked curiously. I hadn't done anything for him except cause problems it seemed.

He chuckled, amused by my question. "Anyone who can take in two children, without hesitation, even though they didn't contribute to their DNA is a saint in my book." I still didn't understand how I was a saint to all these people. Who would leave two children to die? "You also remind me of Signore Giordano's mother. She was kind-hearted, and I can see in your soul that you are a good person."

I found his words reassuring, giving him a tired smile. "Thank you."

He nodded, "Anytime, Evelyn."

"You can call me Iridessa you know." I had gotten used to being called both now, but Alejandro insisted on calling me by my real name. He hadn't explained why. Everyone else was still getting used to it, but Fredrico hadn't even tried switching to my other name.

"I'm an old brain," he said. "You'll have to forgive me. I was introduced to you as Evelyn, so that is how you'll remain in my head."

I waved him off, "I answer to both. I'm not offended. I just wanted to let you know in case you weren't sure." He gave me a smile before looking down at Luna.