11.

Your fingers are wound tightly around Wanda's arm, the nails digging into her sweater giving away what your face is trying to hide. You're zeroed in on Bucky's figure as he runs across green after blurry white.

The energy from the others who cheer in the stands makes you buzz, a jump of confidence urging you to jump to your feet when Bucky passes the ball to Pietro and then has it once again, close enough to the other team's goal to make you clench a hand in anticipation.

With the flesh of your thumb between your teeth, you can't help but lose your breath when it looks like Bucky's going to try to make it, only for it to be knocked out from your lungs when he crashes to the ground from the impact of another player.

Your mouth parts in a surprised o, tongue playing his name before you can stop it.

It's eerily silent in the stadium for a second as Bucky lies on the field, before it disappears in a fold of angry screams.

You're not worried.

Bucky has never gotten hurt on the field before—"I'm too good," he had promised you with an uneven grin, annoying in the way that he's right—and the only times it's seemed otherwise have been lies, a mere play he put on for the free kick. He had shaken his head disappointedly at you when you'd gotten worried, condemning you for not trusting him. He's playful when he's flustered.

So you're not worried, because you know Bucky is fine.

Except he hasn't moved in a little while too long and you don't think it's ever taken him this long to fake it. Although, maybe it feels longer because you can't take your eyes off his figure.

You're not worried.

Your fingers say otherwise, thumb tapping against your alternating fingers so frantically they get jumbled together, clumsily bumping into the crevices between them.

"Is he hurt?" Wanda asks.

"No," you say automatically, stretching your fingers out like a starfish as if to rid evidence of your anxiety. "No, he's fine."

It's another moment that seems too long and the lines of Wanda's worried face deepen, breaths a little faster. "He's not... he's not getting up."

"He's fine," you insist. "He has to milk it." Glancing up at the timer, you nod definitively. "Yes, he has to milk it to get the penalty kick."

"What?" Wanda asks, meeting your eyes in confusion.

"The hit didn't seem that bad," you lie unsteadily. "He has to milk it. He's fine."

Your panic escapes in the highs of your voice, something translucent hiding it when you clear your throat. He's still not getting up and it makes your breath comes out quickly. "He has to be," you admit.

Wanda's brows furrow, eyes searching your face once Bucky finally limps weakly to his feet, giving the ref a short nod. A sigh large enough to make you bend slips past your lips, caught in a relieved laugh as you gesture to him.

"I told you," you tell her.

"He's limping," she points out.

"It's fake," you assure, fingers digging round shadows into your temples. "He's doing his hero face, he's completely fine." It comes out more relieved than you thought it would.

He gets his penalty kick, makes it, of course, and it's another few, a lot slower minutes before the game is over, but you're making your way down thirty seconds before, too much attention on the game rather than your footing on the stairs.

You stumble over your feet, barely caring when the whistle blows to indicate the game is over, and turn in the direction of the hall to the locker room. Your anxiety nearly seems silly now, not as oppressive now that the soaked towel you'd been waterboarded with was dry. Yet, it still prickles at your fingertips, faint but enough to ache.

It's only a couple minutes before you can hear the pattering of feet, the stress that the outliers are Bucky, limping like he did on that field, nudging at your mind. The players wave at you, surprised, and your heart grows heavier and heavier with each passing team shirt that does not have "BARNES" on the back.

Then he's there, completely fine and near the end of the line. He's grinning at the apparent win, letting Steve shove him proudly. His eyes widen in surprise when they catch sight of your own, saying something to his teammates without looking at them as he steps toward you.

"Hey, what're you—"

Unable to help yourself, you throw your arms around his neck, the prickling disappearing the moment you touch him. He is hot and solid in your arms, but most importantly completely fine.

"Hey," he coos, hugging you back.

You allow him a moment before you pull back abruptly and smack his arm.

"Ow!" he complains, grabbing your hand.

"You asshole! What's up with the drama?"

"What, did I scare you?" Bucky teases, smirk dropping when your deadpan doesn't glitter with playfulness. "Doll?"

"You took your sweet time getting back up," you continue, ignoring his words. "You've never taken that long." You're alone in the hall now, eyes frenetic over his figure.

He softens then, chin pulling closer to his neck so his eyes can give you a reassuring smile. "Hey," he says softly, tapping your wrist with his index, "'m fine."

"I know," you contend, but it comes out a little relieved at hearing it in his voice. "I told Wanda that."

His cheeks apple at your statement, amusement twinkling back in his eyes. "Of course. My girl knows I can't get hurt."

You scoff at the term of endearment, nervous energy dissolving. "I'm not your girl."

"Not yet!" he proclaims.

You wrinkle your nose, stepping away from him. "You stink. Go shower." You pat his shoulder as a goodbye, beginning to head back out.

"Sure know how to charm a guy," he mumbles, watching you walk away with a dopey smile.